Sunday, May 5, 2024

Editorial Wary of Orientation Reform

Author: [no author name found]

Wary of Orientation Reform

First-year orientation evokes memories of hiking, volunteer work and forming friendships that endure far beyond that first week. In fact, many students remain close to a core group of friends they met during their orientation throughout their college careers. The weeklong experience - while one the most exhausting-is also one of the most rewarding.

A restructured orientation schedule to debut next September takes its cue from the compressed February program, in which orientation trips occur after classes have started. A committee has now been charged with evaluating the components of September orientation with an eye towards shortening the schedule. We just hope the social dimension of the experience is not on the chopping block.

Senior administrators have said the new structure will emphasize "what students need to know" before launching their academic careers. Translation: first-year seminar meetings, placement tests, class registration and an academic forum, among other logistical concerns. There is no question that these are necessary events, but they shouldn't masquerade as an orientation to collegiate life.

New students should be greeted with warm welcome and a comprehensive introduction to Middlebury that includes both academic and social aspects. It's important to know how to register for classes. It's also important to have opportunities to meet new friends from the very moment you arrive on campus.

We fear that orientation will become a bureaucratic grind rather than an engaging and memorable introduction to the College. Sure it's exhausting to run non-stop for the first week, but there's no better way to feel at home than to pack in a wide range of experiences.

Orientation undoubtedly eases the adjustment to college. We therefore call upon the committee to preserve the social aspects of the program - and specifically to keep Middlebury Outdoor Orientation (MOO), Volunteer Preview and This Is Vermont programs in the pre-class lineup. Otherwise, students may feel like they're going through the motions instead of making a meaningful transition to the next phase of their life.

A New Home for Public Safety

The Health Center has already fled center campus. This week the Department of Public Safety follows suit. We already expressed concern that the Health Center's more peripheral location would limit access to its services. It's now time to turn attention to Public Safety.

Students must be aware of the location of the Department's new facility. An e-mail to the community - or even coverage in our pages - may not be enough for the student body to pinpoint the site of Harnest House. It's the Department's responsibility to ensure that students know how, and where, to reach it. Nothing less than the public safety of the campus is at stake.

Director Lisa Boudah has also expressed concern that students locking themselves out of their dorms may strain the Department's resources, especially given the more set-aside headquarters it will soon occupy. But toying with the idea of charging students to have an officer come let them in isn't appropriate.

Students need to take responsibility for carrying their keys with them and consulting Residential Assistants before calling Public Safety. But the Department should not fall prey to a fee-for-service mentality that penalizes students for requesting help.

We hope the Department will abandon this line of thinking before it moves past the discussion stages.