Middance 'Represents' Diverse Rhythms, Viewpoints

Author: Stephanie Morales

The theme of Middance's Saturday night performance was "Represent," and an excerpt from the program states, "We represent individuals of the world from all walks of life, all corners of the globe, and all faiths of the heart. Yet in a world that is divided by hate and difference, we have come together to unite in our passion for dance...we represent the power of dance, the celebration of difference, the teaching of tolerance, and we stand for peace."
This theme was exquisitely and successfully carried out in the diversity of students, musical genres and dance styles that entertained a packed McCullough audience.
The dance group, founded and directed in the spring of 2002 by senior Gillian Wood, prides itself on bringing together students not only from different backgrounds but also from a variety of student groups. Some of the guests that performed in the show were GT Breaking, On Tap and The Middlebury College Cheerleading team. In addition, 30 plus members performed dances ranging from classical ballet, salsa, hip-hop, tap, stepping and modern dance.
The enormous crowd (come on, this is Middlebury College - more than 30 people at an event is impressive) was amused by emcees Skip Branch '06 (also a member of Middance) and Durrell Mack '06.
The event also served as a fundraiser, and proceeds went to "Teaching Tolerance," an organization committed to education and combating hatred. This aspect contributed to the richness of the show and the far reaching potential of the group.
The show opened with a ballet piece choreographed by Wood, with a powerful musical accompaniment. A hip-hop piece followed, choreographed by Christina Tolbert '05. A memorable piece was the "Chair Dance" performed by Michael Jou '06.
It involved house music and a chair - for those who missed the show, the rest is left to the imagination. Other choreographers included Ana Aquino '05, Krista Evans '03, Joyce Man '06 and Dominique Thompson '03.
During intermission, a mad rush broke out to grab munchies from the back provided by the ever-charming Cheerleading Team, founded by Anna Rita Pergolizzi '04.
If one wanted to assess the success of the group and of the show, the point of reference would be the audience. The attendance impressive. The very diversity of the students who came and the content of the show demonstrated the purpose of Middance - to bring together students from every academic, musical, social and cultural background on campus to unite in their enjoyment of dance.
There was major talent on stage Saturday night and thankfully a wide range of Middlebury College students were testimony to it.
Middance is the very kind of action that Middlebury needs, a force that builds bridges and brings people together on some level so that, despite their obvious and sometimes conflicting differences, a product infused with the beauty of diversity is created.
There was a lot of love in McCullough on Saturday night, a lot of commitment, hard work and dedication, but most importantly there was power. Power to use the pureness of artistic expression to represent the yearning of a considerable number of Middlebury students, the yearning to connect - something Middance was able to do. As founder and director Wood graduates this year, the remaining members have a heavy task on their hands to continue the vibrancy and success of the group, but from the looks of it they will do just fine.