In Defense of Diversity and Selling the Clean Power Act for Students, Vermonters

Author: Jonathan White

In Defense of Diversity

The College's defense of race as a factor in admissions, witnessed in the brief it filed over the current Supreme Court debate over admissions at the University of Michigan, reaffirms Middlebury's commitment to maintaining and encouraging diversity. Ethnic diversity has created the College community we inhabit today and must remain in place.
Without considering race, the College's student body would be remarkably more homogenous, creating a limited learning environment for students of all races.
In 1978 in the case of Bakke v. The University of California at Davis, the late Supreme Court Justice Lewis Powell stated: "The goal of achieving a diverse student body is sufficiently compelling to justify consideration of race...under some circumstances." The court could proceed with a total denial of race as a factor in college admissions, a stance backed by the Bush administration and one that reverses its 1978 ruling. It could uphold the University of Michigan's policies or it could say that the university's criteria for judging candidates in regard to race must be modified.
Though Middlebury is a private school, a sweeping decision against affirmative action could unravel the College's laudable efforts to bring diversity to this rural Vermont campus. As such, Old Chapel's foray into this national debate is a well-received effort to preserve a level of diversity on campus, which albeit not ideal, is nonetheless commendable.

Selling the Clean Power Act For Students, Vermonters

In his visit to Middlebury College last week, Sen. Jim Jeffords made indirect references to legislation he has introduced to protect air quality in Vermont. The senator introduced the Clean Power Act last spring as chair of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee.
Jeffords' legislation provides leadership on two environmental fronts. It limits sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxide and mercury emissions from power plants. Additionally, as an alternative to the Bush administration's Clear Skies Initiative, it regulates carbon dioxide emissions.
We were disappointed that Jeffords did not present to the Middlebury community the details of his legislation. Students here exalt in the scenic vistas of the Green Mountain State, views too-often diluted on warm days by haze. Eliminating nitrogen and sulfur dioxide emissions, along with mercury is a step towards cleaner air and healthier lungs for students and Vermont residents.
The Clean Power Act is relatively unknown to the public. Jeffords should use public appearances, such as that at Mead Chapel last Wednesday, to champion his legislation. We realize that Wednesday's session was an informal question and answer session, but often Jeffords was indirect. He never fully alluded to the specifics of his environmental agenda. Though Jeffords has lost his post on the Environment and Public Works Committee, the Clean Power Act stands a chance in Congress. Jeffords did mention that a handful of moderate Republicans could help propel this legislation.
The preservation of the College's pristine surroundings begs action on the Clean Power Act. Not merely is our air in peril, but more dramatic ecological changes in Vermont may come should carbon dioxide go unregulated. Jeffords is leading, but leading requires a vociferous call the for the public to rally behind his ambitious proposal. Ultimately, while we encourage Jeffords' efforts to clean Vermont's air, we hope that Congress finally embraces the call to act on climate change.