Tuesday, May 7, 2024

First Vermont Death Linked to West Nile

Author: Kelsey Rinehart

On Wednesday, Vermont health officials began looking into the death of a Windham County woman who may have had the second Vermont case of West Nile virus in humans. The case was reported to health officials at the end of September, and the cause of her death is as yet undetermined.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta is now performing tests to determine whether a Franklin County man who recovered from his illness and the elderly woman who died did indeed contract the West Nile virus. A confirmation of the virus would indicate that West Nile has extended beyond the 50 birds and three horses that tested positive in Vermont this year, and that the disease is a probable threat to Vermont residents.
This second scare with West Nile has heightened awareness of the virus both in Middlebury and on a national level. The virus, which was first detected in New York City in 1999, has since extended to 32 states, killing 124 people and leading 2,477 others to seek treatment this year.
Fortunately, the virus rarely causes significant harm; only 1 percent of people infected actually require medical attention. Still, wearing insect repellant and long-sleeved shirts and pants is advised, especially when going outside at night or early in the morning.