Thursday, May 2, 2024

Douglas Platform Floats on Drugs, Jobs

Author: Liz Lathey

As November approaches, Vermonters are starting to wonder about the names on front yard political signs. Among the names is Jim Douglas, the Republican candidate for governor. Douglas has had an extensive political career as a member of the state Legislature, executive assistant to Governor Snelling, secretary of state and state treasurer. Of special interest to the College, Douglas is a Middlebury alumnus.
The main focus of Douglas' platform is the creation of more jobs for Vermonters. Douglas' "Plan for Prosperity" is based on long-term growth of jobs in Vermont. Douglas believes that under his plan, "Vermonters can once again have peace of mind and job security."
In addition to the creation of jobs, Douglas also promotes more training for workers. Douglas is interested in ensuring that Vermonters have the skills required to compete in today's job market. His ideas concerning Vermont's economy also include providing cheaper health care for Vermonters, helping farmers diversify their products and helping working Vermonters stay on their feet while receiving access to higher education. He proposes making all of these changes with no increase in taxes. This, he believes, can be accomplished by re-prioritizing the budget.
Another pressing issue that Douglas has responded to is the illegal drug problem in Vermont. Describing Vermont as a picturesque location that should be insulated from hard drugs, Douglas has taken a stand especially against heroin, stating that Vermonters need to stop its flow into the state. His ideas, however, center more around treatment and repercussions than actual prevention of the sale of drugs. The preventative measures he does mention advocate the education of young adults about the dangers of drugs.
Other issues Douglas addresses include increasing public safety and raising the quality of education for the state.
Although in a recent Rutland Herald poll Douglas following Democratic candidate Doug Racine by about in popularity, a recent Associated Press article noted that Douglas has received more fiscal support from Vermonters than his opponent. The Douglas campaign reportedly collected $351,430.31, while Racine's office reported $212,550.65.
Douglas has a broad platform covering issues relevant to Vermonters, but many argue that his platform is too broad. In an editorial run in the Burlington Free Press last spring, the writer noted that, "If state treasurer James Douglas was any closer to the middle of the road, he would have a broken white line running down his back." On the other hand, Douglas has amassed a great deal of support from Vermonters, including former Republican Governor Ray Keyser Jr. Keyser stated in a Rutland Herald article last summer that, "Jim offers the chance for Vermonters to be heard and have decisive action taken."
Douglas has promised Vermonters a lot. After Democrat Howard Dean's 12-year role as governor, the question is whether Vermonters will elect a Republican.