Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Controversial Burlington Highway Plans Delayed Yet Again by EPA, FHA

Author: Kathleen Fleury

Burlington's Circumferential Highway, originally conceived over 30 years ago, has generated much controversy in Chittenden County and around the state. The "Circ," as it is called, will span 16 miles when completed and will link Interstate 89 in Williston to Interstate 89 in Colchester, thus avoiding the congested Essex Junction and Burlington area. A four-mile stretch is already completed but future construction plans have been halted due to funding issues and a delay imposed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Federal Highway Administration (FHA).
Ultimately the Circ will form part of an integrated transportation system consisting of improved public transportation, maintenance of existing roads and other components intended to fulfill the needs of Vermont drivers.
These benefits will come at a cost as high as $180 million dollars, according to the Burlington Free Press. Environmental and developmental problems pose concerns, and opponents argue that the consequences of building the Circ are too severe for a reduction of a few minutes for commuters.
Vermont Transportation Secretary Brian Searles recognizes these concerns but claims that these issues "have been dealt with through the project development process and that the project has been redesigned to deal with effective storm water management. W have mitigated for wetland effects, dealt with land use issues at interchanges and made considerable progress on substantive transit improvements in both bus and rail modes."
The Vermont Public Interest Research Group Web site points to studies that explain the "Field of Dreams" theory: If you build it, they will come. They note that every 1 percent increase in paved miles generates a 1 percent increase in traffic within five years. So the question remains:Is this expensive investment worth it?
"I believe the project is important because of safety, economic development and congestion concerns that I think will be improved with the addition of this capacity," Searles replies. "I think that the opponents' point about secondary growth impacts is a point well taken and one we must be aware of as we administer state and local land-use regulations."
According to Dean George, state representative for Addison County and a member of the Vermont House Transportation Committee, "The importance of the next leg of the Circ highway is critical to the transportation needs of Chittenden County."
He went on to state the dilemma facing his committee. "In supporting this nearly 40-year-old project our concern remains that it not jeopardize the funding for other statewide transportation needs."
The Circ plans to address at least one of these needs, reducing congestion in Chittenden County and in turn make transportation within the state more efficient.