Chats with the Candidates Republican Brian Bauer and Democrat Betty Nuovo

Author: Kelsey Rinehart

Brian Bauer has lived with his family in Middlebury since 1969. He taught in Middlebury from 1969 to 2001, and his oldest son, Brian, graduated from Middlebury College in 1992. Bauer, now running as the Republican candidate for the Vermont House of Representatives, stopped to tell The Campus a little about himself and his campaign.

How did your high school or college experience prepare you for a career in public service?

I grew up in Chicago, and attended both high school and college in Illinois. At that time in my life, I was not very actively involved in public service, and preferred a more reserved role. Later, after attending Outward Bound courses and moving to Vermont, I became more involved with public service, with the Middlebury Volunteer Ambulance Association, Boy Scouts, State Police, and as chairperson for the Middlebury Zoning Board.

When and why did you decide to run for the Vermont House of Representatives?

In July of this year I was asked to run for the House of Representatives by people in the Middlebury community who felt that, when elected, I would make a positive change. After reading a report done by the Ethan Allen Institute showing that on 10 important issues, our present representatives canceled out each other's vote, I knew I had made the correct decision. I am running with Dean George, [the Republican candidate for Middlebury representative to the Legislature].

What do you feel you bring to this election?

I bring a willingness to listen, to vote for "best" solutions, not "party" solutions, to work with others positively and effectively, to admit being incorrect, an insight into the needs of the business community, and an excellent foundation for educational issues.

What do you feel is the most pressing issue facing the Middlebury community? How would you address it?

Middlebury taxes are too high. Addressing this issue is complex. It involves future conversations with Middlebury College, a moratorium on any future large money expenditures for at least five years, re-working the Middlebury Town Plan and zoning ordinances to facilitate the growth of new and present businesses and a reduction in educational costs. There is no easy road to take. From the House of Representatives I can promote and vote for the necessary changes in Act 60, and work to change Vermont's characterization as a place that only tolerates business to one that embraces business.

Do you have any advice to give those who are just getting started their political careers?

Find a good mentor.

Betty Nuovo has been a resident of Middlebury for more than 40 years, and has served in the Vermont legislature for 16 years. She has served on numerous state and local committees. The Campus caught up with Nuovo last week to learn about her career in public service.

After graduating from Bucknell University, you became a teacher. How did your college experience or your years of teaching prepare you for a career in public service?

Teaching is a wonderful career that allows children to learn their specific lessons, and also includes teaching socialization and contributing to the community. After a short teaching career and bringing up two boys, I became an attorney. During this period I served the community by being on public board, planning a charter committee for the town, and by service for our community organization.

You have been a resident of Middlebury for over 40 years, and a legislator for 16 years. How and why did you begin a career of public service? Has it been a rewarding career?

When I came to Middlebury, someone asked me to join the League of Women Voters, and I did. The League teaches you to study and learn about various issues in government. I chaired committees on constitutional changes, women's issues, voting issues, [and others]. These subjects lead to my interest in serving in the legislature. Yes, it is rewarding to help people in the community.

What do you feel you bring to the Vermont House of Representatives?

I am very careful to work for and help constituents, and to work for the best interests of people. I work in various ways to ensure legislation is well-crafted and accomplishes our goals. I read legislation very carefully because legislation benefits what my constituents desire. I am concerned with social issues, education, women's issues, health and equal justice for everyone. I work very hard to ensure this.

What do you feel is the most pressing issue facing Middlebury? How would you address it?

There is more than one issue. There is health care, taxes, good education for our children and supporting small businesses and farms. I work for these issues by introducing legislation or supporting legislation proposed by other legislators. I talk to and persuade colleagues to vote on certain legislation, and am responsive to the constituents.

Do you have any advice to give those who are just getting starting their political careers?

If you want a political career, you should work for and serve the community you're in. You can do this by service to organizations and/or by being elected or appointed to local political divisions — school board, planning or zoning boards, library or recreational boards. You need to be involved in the community to help work towards the goals. You need to be honest and straightforward.