Vermont Native, Lieutenant Governor Doug Racine Campaigns to Succeed Dean

Author: Kathleen Fleury

This November, Vermonters will head to the polls to cast their vote for a new governor, replacing Democrat Howard Dean, who has held the position since 1991. Douglas Racine, the Democratic candidate, brings to his campaign a great deal of experience in state politics, as well as a long list of credentials in Vermont.
Educated at Princeton University, Racine, a native Vermonter, was a member of Senator Patrick Leahy's campaign in 1974. He went on to serve as a staff member for Leahy in Washington, D.C.
Upon returning to Vermont in 1983, he was elected to the Vermont Senate as the Chittenden County senator. During his five terms as senator, he worked on the Senate Appropriations Committee and was chairman of the Natural Resources Committee. He additionally served as president pro tempore from 1989 to 1992.
On Jan. 9, 1997, Racine was sworn in as lieutenant governor. He is currently serving his third term in this position. While working under Dean, Racine fought to preserve 100,000 acres of farmland, helped in Dean's efforts to balance the budget, worked to provide children in Vermont with adequate health care and created many new jobs. He stated that he is dedicated to ensuring both equal educational opportunities and civil rights for all Vermonters.
His main concern this fall? Like most other political candidates, it's the economy: the creation of more jobs by attracting new businesses and supporting already existing companies. Middlebury College's Bicentennial scholar-in-residence and former governor of Vermont Madeleine Kunin supports Racine, stating, "He understands Vermont values, which are based on a strong sense of community and respect for the land."
Some influential groups that support Racine include the Vermont chapter of the National Education Association and the Vermont State Employees' Association, which represents state workers.
Racine faces Republican candidate Jim Douglas, who, in a recent poll conducted by The Rutland Herald, trailed by approximately 11 percent, with independent candidate Cornelius Hogan following behind both candidates. Douglas, Racine's closest opponent, is also focusing on the economy and the creation of new jobs in Vermont. Some other initiatives on the forefront for Douglas include public safety, education and illegal drugs.