Midd Briefs Three-Hour Blackout Shuts Down Campus

Author: Sarah Riddleberger

On Wednesday, Sept. 11, the Middlebury College campus and its surrounding area lost electric power for close to four hours. All electricity flickered off just before 9 p.m. and did not return until nearly 1 a.m.
Middlebury Facilities Management reported that there was a fault on one of the main distribution lines into the town, which resulted in the complete loss of power. Facilities Management further remarked that as soon as the power company, Central Vermont Public Service, fixed the line, power was restored. "It was really that simple," claimed Mike Moser, Central Heating Plant Manager.
Around the College, the response to the blackout was varied. Many professors reported a lack of students in early morning classes and a significant amount of unfinished homework.
Some students did gather in hallways under emergency lighting and attempted to get their work done. But, as Heather Harris '05, observed, "Unfortunately, it turned into more of a social gathering than an academic one." Other students chose to do work in their rooms by candlelight. Jen Kim '05, noted that, "it was very romantic."
Inevitably, some students found the blackout an excuse for less academic behavior. Melanie Endo '05, remarked, "The blackout provided the perfect opportunity to stop doing work and start drinking!"