'Art Matters' Now More Than Ever

Author: Kate Prouty

Middlebury College's annual Clifford Symposium scheduled for next weekend has more to celebrate this year than ever before.
Designed to launch the academic year into a turbulence of discussion over the selected subject matter, this year's Symposium also gets to blow out birthday candles in honor of the Center for the Arts' (CFA) 10th anniversary.
Entitled "Art Matters — Visions for the Arts in the 21st Century," the event will cover a wide array of topics, focusing on everything from theater, film and dance to a wild 24 hours of performance art (see article below). Although it will maintain its standard symposium format of lectures, panels and other events, this is the first time the Symposium has deliberated on the arts and thus will strive to be unique and especially memorable.
A primary goal of the Symposium is to focus on a singular topic — this year, the arts — but to do so with multiple perspectives so that discussion will penetrate other academic domains. Secretary of the College Eric Davis, who is in part responsible for organizing the Clifford Symposium, said he found "the way in which the organizers — faculty in the arts division — have reached out to colleagues all across the campus in putting together the program" is "especially noteworthy." These efforts will ensure that the Symposium matters to more than just those who call the CFA home.
Although discussions to propose this idea for the Symposium began over a year ago, the subject matter is particularly poignant at this time for the College community. Penny Campbell, lecturer in dance and one of the principal organizers of the 2002 Symposium, reflected that because "we are in a difficult economic time," it is a pattern that the arts "suffer in this climate." Usually the first to be cut from school budgets, the arts sometimes stand on insecure ground vis a vis other realms of academia.
But as Davis asserted, "Study of the art — from both historical and critical and performance perspectives — is an essential part of the liberal arts. The arts are no less 'intellectual' than any of the other subjects that have been explored in previous years' Clifford Symposiums."
"Whether it is a panel on 'Creativity and the Brain,' a discussion of 'Science, Culture, and Art,' or an exploration of 'The Arts and American Consciousness,' to mention just a few of the events, this year's Clifford program shows us how the perspectives of the arts can enrich and deepen our understanding of the human condition and the environment in which we live."
To achieve this goal, the organizers of the Symposium have arranged something inspiring for just about everybody.
Theater enthusiasts can look forward to American playwright Edward Albee's keynote address, "The Playwright vs. The Theater" next Thursday evening. Albee has been compared to Arthur Miller, Tennessee Williams and Eugene O'Neill and is one of America's leading dramatists. For those who may not be familiar with his work, Albee's most recent drama, "Three Tall Women" will be read by theater majors on Friday afternoon. A three-time Pulitzer Prize winner, Albee's participation in the Symposium promises to be enlightening to all who experience his presence on campus.
The "Creativity for the Brain" lecture should prove particularly relevant for quite a few students at the College. The panel discussion next Friday morning will be led by Stephen Nachmanovitch, the author of the book "Free Play" which appears on the syllabus of several classes taught here ("The Creative Process," numerous dance courses, and the first-year seminar "Creativity in the Arts"). "Free Play" has been a core text in these and other courses because it emphasizes a cornerstone of the arts at the College — the artistic process is often more precious than the final product.
Also connected to the College campus are several events highlighting the expertise of faculty as well as student body. In particular, Su Lian Tan, associate professor of music, and rapper Damian Washington '03, will direct "Science, Culture and Art," a conglomeration of live, looped, scratched and DJ'd music involving guest as well as student and faculty performers.
Keeping with the goal of bridging curriculums, this musical extravaganza will be followed by a panel discussion featuring professors from not only the music department (Jennifer Post, assistant professor and faculty curator of the ethnomusicology archives) but also English (John Elder, Stewart professor of English and environmental studies) and physics (Rich Wolfson, Benjamin F. Wissler professor of physics).
Students are not restricted to participating in lectures and discussions, but also are given the opportunity to perform. "24 Hours of Art," curated by professors of dance Peter Schmitz and Amy Chavasse, is one of the most daring performances the College has ever presented. Varying in media, subject and approach, "24 Hours of Art" does just what its title suggests. For 24 hours between 5 p.m. Friday, Sept., 20 and 5 p.m. the next day, students, faculty, alumni and guests will perform in any medium in and around the CFA. The building, which was designed with the architectural intent to surprise its visitors with nooks and crannies in which they can explore, get lost and find themselves, is the perfect arena for such a unique event.
These events mentioned represent only the beginning of what's in store. Over the next week last minute details will be ironed out and by the end of the weekend, the College community will have to assess for themselves in what way "Art Matters." Is the importance of art in a liberal arts education supported strongly enough by faculty, students and our administration to live up to the expectations of this year's Clifford Symposium?
If not, then the organizers of the Symposium have, on the CFA's tenth birthday, given us a tremendous gift of a reminder. Art truly has the force to transcend not only academic disciplines but also cultures, moods, races and opinions.
Up-to-date information and schedules for the Clifford Symposium can be found on the event's Web site: www.middlebury.edu/ clifford_symposium.