Local Logger Cuts Down Stereotype QUESTION AND ANSWER

Author: Meghan Michelson

The logging industry has long been the target of environmentalists who advocate protecting natural forests from abuse. Environmental concerns have prompted accusations toward loggers as contributing to the destruction of ecosystems simply in exchange for financial gain.

In recent years, however, the logging industry across the United States, including in Vermont, has taken steps to guarantee a more environmentally conscious approach to cutting down trees. With increased awareness, educational programs and governmental policies, the majority of loggers have now become more in tune with the concerns of environmentalists.

One such logger who calls himself an environmentalist is Charles Lee of New Haven, Vt., owner of Charles Lee Forest Services. Lee represents Vermont's new logging mentality, which includes education, awareness and overall precaution in dealing with tree removal.

He took the time to explain the new motives and practices of the Vermont logging industry, which makes up a significant portion of the state's economy and exported products.

Campus: How did you first become involved in the logging industry? Where did you learn your skills?

Lee: I grew up on a farm in Fairfield, Vt., and always worked with trees. I sold my dairy farm in 1986 and just started working in the logging business. I never had any forestry training. Everything I've learned, I've learned on my own. Everything is common sense, like knowing what trees to cut and how not to overcut. It's like weeding a garden. It's that simple.

Campus: How do you respond to environmentalists who accuse you of doing harm to local forests?

Lee: First of all, we're not destroying anything. I think the environmental community is very committed to saving the environment and I respect them for that. I myself am an environmentalist. Through my business, however, I have seen that environmentalists are often given poor information about what goes on in the logging industry. A lot of environmentalists think that cutting trees is ruining the environment. But what they don't realize is that all the forests in Vermont are second and third growth forests. Trees grow back in Vermont because of the climate and the good soil. A lot of people have been taught from the beginning that logging is bad. But, loggers spend all day, everyday in the woods and we respect the environment more than almost anyone.

Campus: But aren't there some loggers who aren't as respectful and aware of the environment as you are?

Lee: We live in a corporate world and it's all about whoever can get the most money the fastest. That is when you get overcutting. There are people out there who just want to make a quick buck, and there always will be.

There are still some bad eggs, but overall the logging industry has improved dramatically over the last 10 years. We have a new system of cutting, loggers go to programs and workshops to learn how to do it right. There are still bad guys though, but there aren't that many.

Campus: Have there been other significant changes in the logging industry?

Lee: Ten years ago, there was a lot of heavy cutting. People didn't have any education and they used to cut anything they could sell. Now there is a lot of logger education. The federal government has responded with what are called Acceptable Management Practices, which require loggers, for example, to maintain water quality and control erosion.

The logging community of 10 years ago used to drive right through brooks, but now we have to have suitable water crossings, like building a bridge, so we don't get sediment in the brook.

The Northeast Kingdom used to be completely leveled out for thousands of acres. They used to just mow hillsides down.

There was always concern for clear cutting and disruption of wildlife habitat, but there was, until recently, no way to control it.

Campus: How would you describe the role and reputation of the logging industry in Vermont today?

Lee: Overall, the logging industry has done very well. People who do a bad job carry that reputation, and landowners only hire those who respect the woods. There are severe consequences now if you violate the Acceptable Management Practices. You can get fined and it gives you a bad name. Loggers have a negative reputation in the environmentalist community, but it's a respected job in the community at large. We encompass a large portion of the workforce. Forests are a big part of the state's economy and people recognize that.