Proposal for New Major Generates Faculty Concern

Author: Bob Wainwright

In a memorandum drafted on Feb. 28 and presented to various administrators and professors last week, the Student Government Association (SGA) proposed a restructuring of the American Literature and Civilization Department in order to establish an African-American Studies focus within the department. Various American Literature and Civilization faculty members have since expressed concern over the manner in which the memorandum was presented to them, as well as what they consider a misunderstanding of how their department currently works.

The memorandum, drafted by SGA President Brian Elworthy '02.5 and SGA Director of Academic Affairs Suzanne Slarsky '02 calls for the creation of a new American Studies Department that resembles the College's current International Studies program. One section of the memorandum reads, "What is crucial in this new American Studies program is that students recognize and interact with the fact that there is no single American civilization, history or identity. Rather, racial and ethnic diversities have played enormous roles in shaping what we consider to be American culture."

The proposed American Studies Department is described as being comprised of different "tracks" for students to pursue. Possible tracks include political development, art history and American literature. The document then states, "New tracks within the department might also include American religious diversity, American immigration and sociological change, and certainly African-American studies."

The memorandum further explains, "While the comprehensive reformulation of the American Civilization Department will certainly require a fairly long timeline, the establishment of the African-American Studies track can be completed immediately." Citing 15 courses that currently focus on African-American studies as currently sufficient for the proposed major, the memorandum calls for "further curricular development" in the field as more faculty members are hired.

Aspects of the memorandum have raised some eyebrows within the American Literature and Civilizations Department, for it appears that the SGA has misinterpreted the way in which the department is run. The College's American Literature major is actually not a "track" within the American Civilization Department as the memorandum seems to suggest. In fact, both the American Literature and the American Civilization majors are autonomous of each other, despite the fact that they belong to the same department. Abernathey Professor of American Literature John McWilliams, who heads the department, spoke to this effect. "My hope is that the SGA becomes informed about the American Civilization major and the opportunities it provides for students who wish to study diversity," he explained.

McWilliams said he was also disappointed that neither he nor any of his colleagues were consulted prior to the distribution of the memorandum. "I regret very much that the SGA did not consult with members of our department before proposing to restructure it," he commented.

According to Elworthy, however, the memorandum was not intended to be a formal proposal. "This document served as nothing more than impetus for discussion on what we as student representatives see as a very important issue," he elucidated. Elworthy affirmed that the SGA was fully aware that the faculty has the final say on all academic matters.

The disappointment expressed by some department members is unwarranted, said Elworthy. Admitting that department faculty members told him he has mishandled the issue, Elworthy stated, "Why must this be political? We are at an academic institution that seeks to educate its students on global issues and with a universal perspective. Politics should not prevent the issue of African-American Studies from being given the appropriate thought and consideration it deserves."

Elworthy said he hoped that, despite the problems expressed by the department, the points brought up in the memorandum would still be addressed. "I hope that the tremendous student support that was demonstrated in last week's Campus' Opinions section does not subside and that student interest in a diverse academic curriculum is acknowledged." The SGA plans to have Slarsky and the SGA Chief of Staff Ginny Hunt '03 meet with the department faculty to discuss prospects of their proposed ideas.

As far as faculty members of the American Literature and Civilization Department are concerned, the issue of an African-American Studies major is a complicated one. Currently, such a minor exists and includes courses in three different departments: history, sociology and American literature. The minor was created in the fall of 1999, and it requires students to complete five out of seven courses, including an independent study.

According to Assistant Professor of American Literature and Civilization William Nash, who teaches the three African-American literature courses, which fall under the current minor, there has been discussion about what such a major might entail. However, he explained, "Those of us who teach the minor are very aware of how complicated it is to transform a program from a minor to a major. And we feel there are several important steps that would be necessary for that to be possible."

Nash continued, "I think we would do well to explore all options for the best way to generate interest in and support for the study of race and ethnicity at Middlebury. African-American studies is one of a series of options."

McWilliams explained that he would be wary of any changes that would split American Civilization into separate entities. "I do not believe in any change that would create an American Civilizations [emphasizing the plural] Department. To me, "e pluribus unum" means out of many comes one, without the diversity disappearing."

Associate Provost and Associate Professor of Amreican Literature and Civilizatoin Timothy Spears, who oversees the American Civilization major, emphasized the need for a comprehensive discussion of the issues at hand. He did, however, mention that the memorandum did not appear to show a complete understanding of the American Civilization major.

"American Civilization does deal with African-American studies. Maybe we need to be focusing on creating more courses rather than restructuring a whole department," he stated.

Despite reservations regarding the memorandum, members of the department are prepared to discuss the issue with the SGA.

"I think it is exciting that students are interested in these issues," said Nash. "The question is now how best to engage them because [the issues] are very complicated."