Legislators Assail 'Homosexual Agenda' in Schools`

Author: Meghan Michelson

In a state that has struggled with the battle and ultimate victory of civil unions, it comes as no surprise that another controversial issue regarding homosexuality in Vermont was recently brought to the public's attention.

This time, the political debate lies between state representatives in support of a bill that directly counteracts and reinterprets the purpose of one local agency and programs of the state Department of Education.

A bill was proposed last year by Representative Nancy Sheltra of Derby, Vt., that seeks to prohibit educational programs that encourage homosexuality. The bill, which was sponsored by 32 lawmakers, states its purpose is "to prohibit an employee of a school district from encouraging, promoting or sanctioning homosexual conduct." This also includes forbidding discussion that leads students to believe that homosexual orientation is an innate or unchangeable behavior.

Sheltra is now attempting to move the currently idle bill along in legislation by sending letters to every selectboard in Vermont encouraging voters to sign petitions that would place the bill on the agenda at this month's statewide annual Town Meeting Days. The petition requires signatures from 5 percent of registered voters in order to be placed on a ballot.

The bill has been sitting in the House Education Committee due to discussions related to the extent to which legislature should interfere in regulating public educational programs. The bill has not gained sufficient support to be brought to the floor for a vote.

Representative Howard Crawford of Burke, Vt., chairman of the Education Committee, said in a recent interview with The Burlington Free Press, "I don't want the state mandating curriculum to schools in the state, and when I say state I mean either the Legislature or the Department of Education," he said. "I don't want the state to micromanage beyond the [educational] standards that are already in place."

Sheltra feels that the state interference is necessary in order to eliminate what she calls the "homosexual agenda" of Vermont's schools. The Department of Education and programs that promote acceptance of diversity deny that they have such an agenda.

One program under attack by Sheltra's accusations is the Burlington-based Outright Vermont, an agency whose mission is "to foster sensitivity and understanding of the issues facing gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and questioning youth." The organization "seeks to challenge stereotypes and prejudice and create an environment in which all young people can realize their full potential, free from the weight of hate and fear."

Outright Vermont accomplishes this by offering education and outreach programs throughout the state and drop-in counseling at their center in Burlington for youths under 22 years of age. Speakers visit high schools and colleges only upon invitation and address various issues depending on the types of requests.

"In some cases we are invited by gay/straight alliances or health classes. Every time we address specific requests by the school," explained Executive Director of Outright Vermont B.J. Rogers, who assumed this position in February, 2001.

The requests can include health-related topics, instruction on the formation of gay/straight alliances and how to increase participation in these groups. There are 30 Vermont high schools and middle schools and seven Vermont colleges with gay/straight alliances.

"We always represent a thematic agenda of respect, safety and human dignity. We discuss the realities that face this specific population of youth and what they can do to create a more healthy environment," said Rogers.

He rejects using the word "tolerance" and instead promotes not merely the acceptance of gay, lesbian, bisexual or other youths, but rather their total inclusion.

Next week, the gay/straight alliance from Otter Valley Union High School in Brandon, Vt., will meet with Rogers for suggestions on improving their student group and becoming more involved in their community.

When asked if the group of 12 to 15 students involved in the gay/straight alliance at Otter Valley has been affected by the lawmakers' attempt to rid schools of educational programs accused of promoting homosexuality, Jennifer Amsbary, school counselor and faculty advisor for the gay/straight alliance, said, "They haven't been affected too much by the controversy, just with the prejudices that exist within our school and community." In defense of Outright Vermont, Amsbary said, "For the most part, we've had a lot of support, and Outright has been a wonderful resource in terms of providing us with information and helping us stay connected."

In reaction to accusations made against the productivity of programs like Outright Vermont, Rogers claims a need for reevaluation of what benefits and harms young people. "Their [those in opposition of Outright Vermont] responses are in the name of protecting young people in our state, but my reaction is that they are doing just the opposite. They're presenting a clear and dangerous message that queer people don't deserve the same rights and responsibilities as other citizens."

Rogers added, "They are suggesting that queers should not be afforded the same human dignity, and this is truly damaging."

In the year 2000, Outright Vermont conducted upwards of 80 presentations at high schools and colleges in the state. In 2001, however, this number dropped to 17. Although 2002 has shown some signs of increase from last year, Rogers claims that recent political debates and fear are to blame for this significant decrease in schools requesting their services.

"We directly attribute the decrease in presentations to the civil unions battle and negative publicity about what it is that our program does. Schools are afraid of the political ramifications of bringing in a program like ours," he commented.

In addition, the Department of Education withdrew the $12,000 of state funding that was offered for one year to Outright Vermont as reimbursement for when schools were unable to afford their in-school presentations.

"The cut in funding did have an impact on Outright's ability to get into schools, but not it alone. The civil unions debate had a significant impact," said Douglas Dows, director of Safe and Healthy Schools at the Department of Education.

The Department of Education continues to support Outright Vermont's programs, despite the cut in funding, and is pursuing their own efforts offer programs that address prejudice and discrimination.

A "safe schools" coordinator is now responsible for training and intervention programs for schools that have suffered from harassment of any kind, be it sexual, racial, religious or other. These programs help "to look at the broader picture of school safety policies," according to Dows and achieve the department's goal of "making schools safe for all students."