Earth Charter Supported in Middlebury Meeting

Author: Campus Editor in Chief

In a vote for sustainable government, the town of Middlebury joined 20 other Vermont municipalities in endorsing the Earth Charter, a document that lays out a basic vision of environmental conservation and social justice.

Drafted by a committee chaired by Middlebury College Professor Emeritus of Religion Steven Rockefeller, the Earth Charter concept was born at the 1992 Rio Earth Summit, one of several meetings designed to foster dialogue among heads of state on environmental issues.

A formal Earth Charter Commission was then established in 1997, with the Earth Charter Secretariat created at the Earth Council's Costa Rica headquarters. Since the drafting, the Commission has focused its attention on circulating the document worldwide and encouraging local groups to implement its vision.

In keeping with this goal, Gwendolyn Hallsmith, the former town manager of Randolph, Vt., spearheaded the campaign to place the Earth Charter article on the agenda at town meetings, the democratic gatherings held throughout Vermont in early March.

The article appearing on town meeting ballots read, "Shall the voters endorse the Earth Charter, and recommend that the town, the state of Vermont, the United States of America and the United Nations use the Earth Charter to guide decision-making on issues of local, state, national and international importance."

While the article failed in nine towns, largely because of opposition raised by sportsmen, Hallsmith's effort garnered near-unanimous support in Middlebury and Norwich, Vt.

"The goal of the exercise was to alert people to the issues in the Earth Charter," namely the link between environmental protection, social justice and democracy, Hallsmith explained. She added that local support for the Charter trumps even United Nations endorsement, referring to the Commission's goal of winning the United Nation's blessing by this year, which marks the 10th anniversary of the Rio conference.

Chair of the Middlebury Board of Selectmen John Tenney reported that the Earth Charter endorsement article passed by "an overwhelming voice vote," with only a "smattering of objections."

The advisory vote encourages the Selectmen to incorporate the Charter's guiding principles into town planning. Tenney mentioned finding more efficient vehicles or perhaps downsizing the town's fleet as ways it might lessen its environmental impact.

"On the social justice front," he said, "I'm not sure there is anything that points to a direction of change," noting Vermont's long-standing commitment to civil rights and equality for women.

Middlebury resident Steve Maier, who spoke in support of the Earth Charter at the Town Meeting, foresees numerous ways that the town could better abide by the Charter's guidelines.

For example, Maier recommended a review of purchasing policies to ensure that the town buys recycled paper products and re-treaded tires for police cruisers.

He also sees the debate over the relocation of the town hall as a potential impetus for investigating green building practices and promoting energy efficiency. "The town may not have gone down that road very far without encouragement," he said.

The Charter's emphasis on social justice could also inspire local dialogue on affordable housing and livable wage, Maier added, saying that "Middlebury is not ahead of the curve in those areas."

He envisions a working group, comprised of representatives from both the town and Middlebury College, coming together to discuss these concerns and perhaps undertaking a study of town carbon emissions. "I'm hopeful that we can find a productive way to work together," he commented.

Hallsmith summarized, "The Earth Charter sets out a cohesive vision, not just taking environmental issues to the exclusion of social justice," adding that, "the Earth Charter has a vision that goes beyond narrowly defined special interests to integrate them into a single document."

For more information on the Earth Charter initiative, visit www.earthcharter.org.