Weezer Reunites With Waiting Fans

Author: Andrew Zrike and Bryan McQuade

Two years ago Weezer, the hugely successful California-based rock band of the early 1990s, had completely disappeared from the charts. The band had not released an album since their 1996 commercially disastrous album "Pinkerton," and following frontman Rivers Cuomo's decision to enroll at Harvard University in 1997, the band had ceased touring altogether. With a widely popular debut album followed by a lackluster sophomore release, Weezer appeared to be just another pop fad, destined to fade and be forgotten.

However, in the years following their hiatus, an underground subculture of Weezer fans continued to support the band. The simple, poppy melodies and thick, distorted guitar sounds have drawn some fans in, while others have been attracted by the self-deprecating, ironic and often emotional lyrics penned by the enigmatic and mysterious Cuomo. Much to their delight, Weezer is back on the scene.

Reuniting for a few small shows in the late '90s, the band met raucous crowds ready to take in "anything Weezer." Since that time, the band's career has been a one-way ride to the top of the rock world. A highly acclaimed third album coupled with well-received live performances has allowed Weezer to eclipse the success of their debut album. The band's success culminated with this winter's tour of arenas — venues for which the band's sound has always been perfect.

Like most stops on Weezer's strangely titled Hyper Extended Midget North American Tour, the band was met with a packed house of excited Weezer fans in Albany, N.Y., on Feb. 17. With an over-the-top stage production, including the now ubiquitous Van Halen-esque illuminated W hovering over the band, those in attendance were treated to a visually and musically memorable show. Fans varied from the older crowd who had grown up listening to classic Weezer songs including "Buddy Holly," "Undone (The Sweater Song)" and "Say It Ain't So," to a younger crowd drawn by the recent radio play of the Green Album. The Abercrombie-clad younger crowd included one girl whose flailing, cigarette-wielding arm nearly scorched the eye of a nearby fan. Nonetheless, as the band took the stage, young and old alike focused their energy on the music.

A packed floor of Weezer fans jumped, danced and moshed throughout the show. Crowd-surfing their way to the front of the venue, fans toppled over the stage barricade, only to go running to the back of the crowd to start overagain. As the show progressed, riled fans managed to pry the floorboards off the ice of the arena, holding them above the crowd to surf on. Fortunately, no one was injured, though one surfing fan decided to somersault into the crowd, no doubt to the displeasure of those he landed on.

Although lead singer and guitarist Cuomo sported a Gibson guitar instead of his usual Fender, his signature crunching guitar distortion remained intact. His switching guitars after the opener suggested a song from the Blue Album was up next; the audience was treated to "In The Garage," followed by the band's newest radio single "Dope Nose." Cuomo told the audience, which was apparently impressed with his guitar work, that he was going to "take them to school," teaching them how to play guitar. The set continued with a number of crowd-pleasers, including the rarely played "The Good Life," not performed for over a year.

Despite the hype surrounding the band's recent album, the most enjoyable songs of the evening were from their debut album: "My Name is Jonas," and "Say It Ain't So" rocked with even greater intensity than the studio effort.

Perhaps acknowledging the crowd's enjoyment of the songs from their debut album, the band played two more for the encore. The audience cheered unanimously in approval as the show ended with a storm of confetti during "Only in Dreams" followed by the culminating encore of "Buddy Holly" and "Surf Wax America."

The show ended with a rock cliché filled feedback jam from Cuomo.

As fans left with smiles on their faces, it was obvious that Weezer's increased popularity was well deserved. With a new album just around the corner, Weezer will no doubt continue to please with their geek rock for the masses.