COUNTING ON VERMONT

18
The age Vermont teens must be in order to legally have a body piercing in any location besides their earlobes, regardless of parental consent, according to a new legislative agreement that will be passed as soon as the proposal receives Governor Dean's signature. The bill will also include a requirement that tattoo and body piercing parlors be licensed and policed for the first time in the state of Vermont.

40,000
Number of doors of Vermont homes knocked on in 2001 by staff members of the Vermont Public Interest Research Group in attempts to enlist residents' support on environmental and consumer issues. The organization hopes that the events leading up to the death of two Dartmouth College professors last year, in which the two teenage murderers pretended to be conducting an environmental survey in order to gain access into homes, will not dampen public willingness to listen to and support the canvassers.

60
Percent more per drug prescription on average that Vermonters are paying in comparison to the rest of the United States. The Vermont Senate approved a new bill that would require pharmaceutical companies and their sales personnel to have state licenses. The licensing fee will help lower marketing fees which ultimately will decrease the cost of prescription drugs.

$1.9 million
Amount stolen from an armored car belonging to the Berkshire Armored Car Services in Rutland, Vt., last month in what was the largest robbery ever in Vermont. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) recently released its first physical description of the armed suspect, who tied up two guards and escaped with the money. The armored car company posted a $50,000 reward for information leading to the recovery of the money, and the FBI is offering a $20,000 reward for tips leading to the suspect's arrest.

22
Percent decrease of donations in the last year to the Chittenden Emergency Food Shelf, an organization that provides grocery items to over 1,400 homes in Chittenden County each month, prepares 150 hot meals every day and provides bag lunches and after school snacks to hungry children. The resulting drop of 88,000 pounds of food will result in a stricter budget for the care giving service.

Statistics courtesy of The Rutland Herald and The Burlington Free Press. Compiled by the Local News Editor.