Board Approves Atwater, Library Construction Projects

Author: Nicha Rakpanichmanee

On Feb. 16, the Middlebury College Board of Trustees unanimously approved the Library and Technology Center (LATC) and Atwater Commons projects.

This authorization is the final step before beginning construction of the LATC in mid-April. Meanwhile, the Atwater Commons construction awaits final state permitting. Both projects are expected to finish in the fall of 2004.

The uninterrupted planning for the LATC and Atwater Commons projects should not face any difficulties, according to Vice President of College Advancement Sally Holland.

"Annual giving has held steady despite economic uncertainties and Sept. 11," explained Holland. "In fact, there is an increase, though a small one, from last year. We are $300,000 ahead this year to date."

The Trustees were reassured of no "undue risk" with "careful financial management," said Director of Public Affairs Phil Benoit. He attributed the confidence to a financial analysis conducted by College Treasurer Robert Huth, Acting Provost Alison Byerly, President John McCardell and Holland.

Of the total cost of $43 million for the LATC, Middlebury College has secured $18 million from gifts. The Atwater project costs $32 million total, and Trustee approval allows for more aggressive fundraising, adding to the $1 million committed to the campaign so far. Holland noted that, while there have been several unofficial financial commitments, the reported figures include only gifts received and pledges made in writing.

"We feel that there's a lot of momentum for Middlebury to be a top school," said Trustee Nancy Furlong '75. "A lot of schools are chasing us, but we're going strong with alumni behind us."

Acting President Ronald Liebowitz called the LATC "a number one need." This new library is designed to solve many of the problems that Starr Library currently faces, namely the lack of climate control and limited space for Middlebury's growing print collections as well as increasing student enrollment. The LATC will offer climate-controlled storage spaces as well as expanded seating of 730 seats. Additionally, the LATC promises to live up to its name with multimedia stations and electronic classrooms.

The Atwater project reflects another ambitious goal — the long-term strengthening of the commons system. The dining hall and two dormitories, along the northside of Le Chateau, will form three faces of a quadrangle around a central green. This geography will test Middlebury's efforts to establish close-knit commons within the College community. Answering the familiar questions of commons division and commons unity, Benoit said he believed that the completed Atwater project, along with the almost finished Ross Commons buildings, would prove that the commons philosophy improves residential life.

"Change is always difficult," said Benoit. "That is why we need to have these buildings to be physically set up. People will realize that this is even better. But until we do that, it's natural for students to want to resist."

The four- and five-story-high residence halls will house 155 beds combined, and the dining hall will seat 225 people. Benoit noted the proximity of these new structures to the Atwater Faculty Head's residence, which will allow for enhanced academic communication in a residential setting.

When Furlong and Liebowitz presented the trustee resolution to the Student Government Association on Feb. 17, Sophomore Class Senator Erin Sullivan '04 questioned the decentralization of Middlebury's dining facilities. Liebowitz replied that there would be enough "cross pollination" among the students that they will not feel divided. Benoit confirmed that the dining halls would be open to all students, regardless of commons affiliation.

Aside from the philosophical debate of the commons system, there still exists the dramatic physical impact of the two projects. The LATC, designed by Gwathmey Siegel and Associates of New York City and the Atwater buildings, designed by Kieran Timberlake Associates of Philadelphia, both reflect a modern architectural style. The visual contrast will be particularly apparent, as the LATC will sit by 19th century structures like Old Chapel and Painter Hall.

"I think it's fine and appropriate for the architecture to reflect its time," said Executive Vice President of Facilities Planning David Ginevan. "The palate of materials that the library will be made from, like marble, granite and limestone, are familiar. As the College moves into its third century, these should be buildings that look to the future, while respecting the past. Besides, in another 100 years, when people look at the new library, it will be considered old and there will be suggestions for something modern."

The construction materials of these projects will not only emulate that of surrounding buildings, but the materials will be selected with strong environmental building principles. Ginevan explained that the LATC and Atwater projects would carry on Middlebury's environmental peak of excellence, as did the deconstruction of the Old Science Center.

The wood will come from sustainably harvested Vermont forests, trucking will be minimized and the College will buy as much building material from local sources as possible.

Ginevan said that these purchases, within 200- to 300-mile radius of Middlebury, would help the local economy. At the same time, Benoit expressed hope that the College would succeed in being financially "prudent," as "a vast construction consumer" such as Middlebury meets the declining construction economy.

Above all, Benoit reflected similar optimism as was apparent in McCardell's campus-wide e-mail on Feb. 16 announcing the Board's approval of both construction projects.

"The careful choices we have made will enable us to attract the very strongest students, the ablest faculty and staff, the support of our alumni and friends," wrote McCardell. "And thus will secure for us a reputation for setting the standard in residential liberal arts collegiate education."