Student Payroll Goes Digital

Author: Devin Zatorski
News Editor

Dispensing with hardcopy timecards, the Office of Service Learning and Student Employment began requiring that students with on-campus jobs enter their hours online last week, the first step in a College-wide transition to Banner operating software. Charlene Bergland, the student employment coordinator, said that the change would save both paper and staff resources.

Before switching to electronic timecards, the Internet Technology Services (ITS) Department printed blank timecards for each student employee, Bergland's office sent the cards to supervisors and then students filled them out and returned them to Bergland. As a final step, the Accounting Department manually entered each timecard into the payroll system. Roughly 1,000 timecards were circulated through these departments each week.

The online system simplifies the process by making the time card data available to supervisors and accounting staff online.

While there have already been several glitches in the online system, Bergland is confident that they will be resolved shortly.

International students, for example, have had difficulty accessing the website because the system disabled their Personal Identification Numbers (PIN). Other students may not be able to view the first few days of the pay period on their online timecard, a problem which stemmed from confusion about the start date of the online entry process.

"When you're working with a new system," Bergland explained, "you learn to use it and work out the bugs at the same time."