Local Airport Stands Still Regarding Security

Author: Nuala O'DonohoeStaff Writer

In the wake of Sept. 11 airport security has become an issue for Americans, whether or not they like to fly. Indeed, airport security has not only become an issue, but a preoccupation in the minds of every American.

In the past five months larger airports have come under scrutiny for their lack of security and their inability to detect terrorists hidden within "global sleeper cells." However, one begins to wonder what kind of security changes have occurred in smaller airports, scattered throughout the country, not in bustling cities but in small towns like that of Middlebury, Vt.

Despite its name, the Middlebury Flight School and Airport ironically does not host a flight school, but is a base from which 25 planes fly in and out of on a regular basis throughout the year. Although the tiny airport hopes to open a flight school in the future, the closest place adrenaline aficionados can sign up for lessons is in the nearby cities of Rutland and Burlington. As of now, the airport houses privately owned aircrafts and provide maintenance and fuel for private planes stopping in Vermont on the way to various destinations.

Despite the fact that airports have become sources of deepened anxiety around the world, the Middlebury Airport cites that no significant security changes have been made there since the events of Sept. 11. "Security is not really an issue at an airport like this. It's just too small," said Joe Quesnal, airport manager. Moreover, no changes have been made since the Jan. 5 incident in Tampa, Fl., in which a 15-year-old boy stole a private plane from an airport not unlike that of Middlebury and crashed it into the twentieth floor of the 40 story Bank of America office building.

Mike Vincent, who is also an airport manager, claims that no security measures have been taken because the Middlebury Airport has never had any security problems in the past with stolen or hijacked planes. The only security issue the airport has ever had, in fact, was the illegal use of its runways as racetracks by Middlebury teens last year, after which the gates to the runways were locked.

Vincent contended that security has not changed because there is not a threat and stated that, "I feel it's no different than a kid going to a car dealership and stealing a car, just to drive it into a building." Quesnal agreed in saying, "A small plane can do no more damage than an automobile."

While the airport itself may not be keen on change within its walls, federal regulations, to the relief of many, have taken the initiative to increase security in smaller airports. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has noted that it intends to incite changes in all flight schools around the country. Extensive background checks as well as thorough applications will be a requirement for all individuals interested in taking flight lessons anywhere in the United States.

However, since the Middlebury Airport currently does not house a flight school, there is no possible interference from the FAA. "We are not currently affected by FAA changes, but we will be in the future when we open up a flight school," explained Quesnal.

Due to the size of the airport and its history of crime-free operations, managers at Middlebury's local airport do not see increasing security to be a necessary action. Although the airport continues to follow traditional guidelines regarding security, the aiport remains relatively unchanged since Sept. 11.