Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Counting on Vermont

Author: Megan Michelson Local News Editor

11

Number of years of debate it took for the Vermont legislature to finally pass a resolution to advise Congress to amend the language of the U.S. Constitution to ban the desecration of the American flag, an issue that has resurfaced following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

.7

Fraction of a degree warmer the average temperature in Burlington is now than the average temperature was in the 1960s, according to the National Weather Service's recently redefined statistics on normal temperatures.

214

Number of refugees who arrived in Vermont through the Vermont Refugee Resettlement Program during the last 12 months from countries including Afghanistan, Bosnia, Congo, Sudan and Vietnam.

40,000

Tons of salt used in an average winter by the Vermont Transportation Agency in order to keep roads clear and safe for driving.

40

Hours spent by a lost Rhode Island man in the wilderness area near Jay Peak Ski Area after veering off the trail during a day of skiing on Jan. 5. He was found by a Vermont State Police Trooper, who was one of 100 troopers, ski patrol and volunteers searching for the man.

$500,000

Amount of federal funds needed to implement a proposed windmill grant that will produce a wind energy source that is cheaper and cleaner than other forms of energy; the first of such windmills is planned to be located atop a peak at Killington Ski Resort.

Statistics courtesy of The Addison Independent, The Burlington Free Press and The Rutland Herald.