SGA Confronts Apathetic Student Body

Author: Nicha Rakpanichmanee

While the Student Government Association (SGA) has traditionally been considered the voice of the student body, representing popular opinion on a wide range of issues, its effectiveness as a forum for student grievances periodically comes into question.

In the 1970s, without a student government body, men might still be wearing ties and suits to eat at Proctor, the sorority system might still exist and women's dormitories might still remain segregated to one side of campus.

Now, 30 years later, is the SGA still a valuable feature of student life at Middlebury?

According to SGA President Brian Elworthy '02.5, if it were not for the SGA "there wouldn't be a diverse student perspective being voiced in one forum, where that forum's objective is to debate, discuss and eventually produce effective legislation that will impact everyone at the College."

The Structure of the SGA

The SGA is divided into two bodies, including an executive and a legislative branch. The Presidential Cabinet, which consists of nine students, sets SGA agendas and implements resolutions. The Senate, composed of elected class and commons representatives, discusses and votes on resolutions proposed by specialized committees.

The SGA oversees numerous committees, whose members include selected applicants from the student body. For example, the Community Council, which is comprised equally of students and members of the administration and faculty, provides input on policies from the Honor Code reform to allowing satellite dishes in residence halls. In contrast, the Student Education Affairs Committee (SEAC) meets with the Faculty Educational Affairs Committee (EAC) to formulate, discuss and revise academic policies.

In addition, a committee like the Student-Public Safety Relations works with a specific department on campus to address issues like installing safety phones around campus and providing shuttles into town.

The Presidential Cabinet consists of the student co-chair of Community Council and seven other members handpicked by the President. These members include the chief of staff, director of membership, director of academic affairs, director of student-Public Safety relations, director of student organizations, director of Facilities Planning and press secretary.

"Instead of choosing his best friends, Brian did a good job in choosing a diverse group [to serve] on his cabinet this year," commented Kristie Gonzalez '02, director of student-Public Safety relations.

"It's important that we don't just have the same group of people because they wouldn't be able to reach different people on campus. And they wouldn't even be aware that they were missing issues," she continued.

The SGA Influence

"The SGA is the officially recognized voice of the students," said Ann Hanson, dean of Student Affairs. "When we want important feedback from students, we often ask the SGA to let us know what they think."

Through passed resolutions and biweekly meetings with President John McCardell, the SGA represents student opinion and often advises the administration on various policies.

"Not to say that the SGA in every instance will have its recommendation accepted," said Secretary of the College and Professor of Political Science Eric Davis. "Generally, the administration has tried to listen to what the SGA has to say, though in some instances it is one of many opinions."

For Suzanne Slarsky '02, the director of academic affairs and chair of SEAC, the SGA's influence is often "a matter of devoting time, interest and energy into that pursuit." She referred to last year's change in culture and civilization requirement in which her student proposal "counteracted" the faculty proposal. "What passed was definitely sensitive to student concerns," said Slarsky.

"We have the ability to have a lot of influence," agreed Gonzalez. "We're definitely taken seriously by the administration."

Gonzalez cited cooperative efforts with Department of Public Safety Director Lisa Boudah. The Student-Public Safety Relations committee is currently working on two projects: one to station safety phones around campus and the other to provide shuttles into town to prevent drunk driving.

"Many of the staff members are helpful and receptive to our ideas," added Elworthy. "Looking at how the administration values our opinion, this conveys a certain sense of legitimacy."

"This year's leadership and government have worked hard to foster positive relations," said Hanson. "[SGA members] are serious about their work, committed and they are making tremendous progress."

SGA and Student Relations

This year, Elworthy moved the Senate meetings from Old Chapel to the Robert A. Jones '59 Conference Room for two reasons. According to Elworthy, the Jones House has a larger room, which is "conducive to active student participation."

Secondly, "we wanted to separate ourselves from the mentality that the SGA is part of the College administration. Although we work with them and need them for support, we represent the students. We are not part of Old Chapel," Elworthy affirmed.

"Trying to find ways to interest students is the biggest challenge," said Elworthy.

Simon Isaacs '03.5, junior class representative, agreed. "I was elected uncontested," he said. "How much do Middlebury students really care?"

Isaacs and Matt Kiefer '03 are hoping for "a small turnout at best" at the upcoming junior class meeting. "It's important that we keep in close contact with the students. The problem is if they don't [show up]," Isaacs said.

Slarsky, who has been on the SGA since her arrival at Middlebury four years ago, mentioned similar yet more positive experience. "Very few people would show up for meetings and discussions," she noted.

"At a decisive moment, though, when we're going to vote on something, there would sometimes be more people. The actual discussions are not highly attended. It's people who they elect who are present."

"There's always a core group of activists that are truly effective in addressing issues," commented Associate Professor of Political Science Matthew Dickinson. "A larger group is apathetic. They spend their time at sports, academics, not the SGA."

"I have no idea what the SGA does," said Josh Onion '02. He added, however, that he has spent only his first year living in the dorms, with two years at Weybridge House and now in off-campus housing.

"It's my fault, really. I don't go to the meetings, and it's not like I'm trying to find out about it. I guess it'd be the same for someone who's on SGA.

They might say, 'I'm really into environmental issues, but I'm trying to do SGA.'"

"It's hard for a lot of students to be involved," said Dickinson. "There is lots of activism in ebbs and flow, depending on issues in the world at large."

Perhaps that is the distinction between the SGA of today and the Middlebury Student Forum that Erica Wonnacott remembers when she served as dean of Student Affairs from 1968 to 1988.

"In the 70s, there was a lot going on," said Wonnacott. "The whole Vietnam War period. The Student Forum was very active. They used to meet upstairs above Proctor, and I went every Sunday. The room was pretty full, both the members of the Student Forum and people who were just interested."

For the early 70s, Wonnacott estimated involvement in the Student Forum to be between 70 and 80 percent of the entire student body. "In the 80s, I think 25 percent would be a high number." She described Middlebury's student government of the 80s as "less vibrant, less popular, less noticed."

"I think when people are generally happy about the way things are, they don't get very active about
things," added Wonnacott. "I think if there were issues that students are very concerned about, then it'd become more lively again."

Elworthy cited "steadily increasing" student participation. The 53 percent voter turnout in the spring 2001 presidential election marked a steady increase during the previous two years.

He and some of his cabinet members credit this to online voting and e-mailing abilities, as well as senators reaching out to seek advice from their constituents.

"If we don't have ideas and interest of people whom we try to represent, we're not an effective or a legitimate group," said Elworthy, while remaining optimistic. "The apathy is not hurting us, but it certainly is not helping."