Council Debates Posting Photos on Web

Author: Alison Hertel Associate Editor

At its last meeting of the semester on Monday, Nov. 26 Community Council tabled a motion sponsored by Kevin King '02 proposing that student photos be placed on the Middlebury College Web site. Students' photos would come up along with the information currently posted on the "People Finder" search. Faculty photos have already been placed on the Web.

Suzanne Slarsky '02, Student Government Association (SGA) director of academic affairs, spoke to the Council regarding her work with the SGA in trying to get student photos on the Web site. "This idea was born of my constituency sophomore year when I was Coffrin [Hall] representative," she said. Slarsky went on to explain that the idea behind the initiative is to foster community. Student photos on the Web would make it easier for students and faculty to put names with faces.

The major focus of King's motion is to endorse the proposal put forth by Slarsky. This portion of King's motion contains four main points: First, students would receive a letter explaining the new program. Only those students who authorized the use of their photo would have their images shown on the Web. Second, students would be able to add their photo to the Web or remove it at any time through the directory with the use of a check box. Third, as an additional item on the existing MiddCard authorization form, incoming students would be asked to authorize the use of their MiddCard photo, when taken, for the online directory. Fourth, ITS would implement security measures to ensure that only Middlebury community members — either on campus or off campus with the use of a current PIN and ID number — could view the photos. The photos would be encrypted by ITS to prevent downloading or other misuse.

In his motion, King also supported the continued publication of the new Faces Book. He suggested that Community Council forward the proposal to the SGA to attain its support and then forward it to President McCardell for final approval.

Debate of the motion centered on security concerns, including stalking of Middlebury students. Executive Director of Career Services Jaye Roseborough asked if there was a precedent of student photos on the Web at similar colleges. Other Council members supported the idea of researching the issue among other NESCAC schools further before deciding on it.

At the meeting the idea was met with some controversy. Koby Spio-Garbrah '01.5 said, "It's an interesting idea, but I'm inclined to oppose it or at least be very hesitant about it. It's not a bad idea, but the security concerns are overwhelming."

Michael Silberman '02 said, "I'm very much in support of this project. Within the bounds of the community I see this as a hugely positive innovation."

After much discussion, Spio-Garbrah made a motion to table, which was adopted with a vote of 8 in favor and 2 opposed with 5 abstentions. Spio-Garbah then made another motion to have the SGA take up the issue and to have Dean of Student Affairs Ann Hanson undertake research of this issue at other NESCAC schools. His second motion passed with a vote of 10 in favor with 5 abstentions.

The issue was tabled indefinitely, though King thinks that it will probably be taken up again in late January.