Monday, May 20, 2024

Audrey MacLean ’27 secures NESCAC Rookie of the Year

The Middlebury Women’s Track and Field team wrapped up their season recently by triumphing at the NESCAC Championship, their third title in a row. The team had a number of standout performers, but arguably no one left a bigger impression than Audrey MacLean ’27, who crossed the finish line first in both the 3,000-meter steeplechase and the 5,000-meter race. 

The first-year’s impressive debut season earned her NESCAC Rookie of the Year honors, making her the first panther to win the award since 2001. 

“One of the captains broke the news to me in the locker room,” MacLean said. “I had no idea and was really surprised, but also very excited.”

MacLean is one of just three Panthers to win a pair of individual NESCAC event titles in a single year, the most recent being Cassie Kearney ’22, who did so in 2022. MacLean was dominant all season, earning United States Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) National Athlete of the Week, as well as the NESCAC Women's Track Athlete of the Week after placing first and second in her two events on the team’s spring break trip to southern California.

“It’s been a long season and a lot of work, but it also went by really fast,”MacLean said. “I would not have made it this far without my team.”

MacLean was also named the NESCAC Rookie of the Year in the fall after an outstanding cross country season. She placed in the top-10 in every race she ran and finished as runner-up at the NESCAC Championship in the six kilometer race. Despite her individual success, MacLean emphasized the role her teammates have played in her success this season.

“Middlebury Cross Country has one of the best team cultures I could imagine,” MacLean said. “Everyone helps, encourages, and motivates each other. This team feels like family.”

MacLean’s teammates were equally appreciative of her presence and contributions. Captain Tatum Peskin ’24 was full of praise for MacLean’s attitude and work ethic.

“Audrey is very humble and will do anything for the team,” Peskin said. “She truly loves running and brings her positive attitude to everything she does.”

MacLean’s spring season continues as she will race at the Farley Inter Regional Extravaganza at Williams College on May 10 and 11 as she attempts to qualify for the NCAA Championships.