Putney-based moderator hosts Reproductive Rights talk at the Ilsley Public Library

Putney-based town meeting moderator Meg Mott is coming to the town of Middlebury to host reproductive rights talks at the public library.

Meg Mott, a Putney, Vt. based town meeting moderator, is coming to Middlebury’s Ilsley Public Library to speak about reproductive rights politics. The event, titled “How to Trust The People With Reproductive Rights,” will take place over the course of three separate days: March 9, March 16 and March 23, each starting at 1:00 p.m. 

Mott will open with the first part of her series: “The Supreme Court’s Role in Reproductive Freedom.” The following Saturday, she will host “Out of the Courts and onto the Ballots,” and the talks will end with the final part of the series, “Better Strategies for Pluralism.” 

In her first talk, Mott plans to distribute cards that describe the background of the recent Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision as well as the specifics of the Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization case. At the end of her talk, Mott typically opens the floor up for questions and comments, encouraging audience members to speak up. 

She recognizes the vulnerable position one takes while expressing their own personal views on a contentious political issue such as reproductive rights, but said that those conversations are necessary in order to make progress.

Mott is currently a Professor of Political Theory at Keene State College in New Hampshire, and formerly taught at Marlboro College in southwestern Vermont. Along with her career in academia, Mott described herself as an activist through advocacy against domestic violence and involvement in the AIDS awareness movement.

Mott has served as a town moderator in Putney since 2015, which has given her the platform to encourage groups of people with differing opinions to engage in productive conversation regarding hot-topic issues.

“We need to go back to building sentences. We need to have more arguments, not fewer arguments,” Mott said. “I think that's probably what always drives me: Whenever there's a group of people, and they take a position, and they're sure their position is right, I want there to be some strong counter argument.” 

In tandem with her responsibilities as Putney town moderator, Mott hosts events throughout Vermont. In fall 2022, she spoke at Ilsley Public Library at her event, “Must Free Speech Endure Hate Speech?” where she sought to explain the legalities of free speech and to allow for debate among audience members.

Renee Ursitti, adult services librarian at Ilsley Public Library, praised Mott’s work and her first presentation at the library in 2022.

“Many of the folks who were at that program reached out to me to say what a wonderful speaker and moderator she was and they would love to have her again,” Ursitti said. 

Both Mott and Ursitti are excited about the “How to Trust The People With Reproductive Rights” series, as they believe that the topic of reproductive rights is a pressing and controversial issue on which one can never be too educated. 

The talk will not support either “side” but will focus on the history of the issue. Ursitti hopes that people with differing opinions on the subject, particularly young voters, come to the event.

Both Mott and Ursitti hope to see large amounts of community and student participation, and are actively advertising for the event.

The Feminist Action at Middlebury club recognizes the same difficulty that Mott addresses, and acknowledges that discussions of reproductive rights are complex. 

“Just as your beliefs are deeply ingrained, theirs probably are as well,” Kate Wilmot ’26, co-president of the club, wrote in an email to The Campus. “Talking in terms of bodily autonomy and personal decision making can be productive as everyone wants to make their own choices.”

Ursitti hopes the event can be productive in terms of finding some shared opinions. 

“I hope that it opens up space for folks who may not agree to find some common ground and we can move forward and maybe make some better decisions,” she said.

Ursitti echoed Mott’s own desires for her talks. 

“I'm hoping that people come who have strong opinions on this topic and yet care more about democracy than they do about hating their enemies,” Mott said. “I'm just thrilled to be able to provide a forum for somebody who can handle it all and give folks the opportunity to ask the questions, to get the information, to maybe even see the other side, whatever side you're on.”