News in Brief: Jeremy Ward named vice president of academic affairs

<p>Ward will serve as vice president of academic affairs beginning July 1. </p>

Ward will serve as vice president of academic affairs beginning July 1.

Jeremy Ward, the Albert D. Mead professor of Biology, has been chosen as the next vice president for academic affairs. Ward will begin the position on July 1, according to an email President Laurie Patton and Interim Provost Michelle McCauley sent to the college community on May 16. 

“An accomplished scholar, teacher, and administrator, Jeremy has a deep understanding of Middlebury’s mission and opportunities, and brings a wealth of experience in academic leadership roles,” Patton and McCauley wrote about Ward. “We have been continually impressed with Jeremy’s ability to forge meaningful connections across Middlebury, earning the widespread trust of his colleagues.” 

Ward joined the Biology department at Middlebury in 2003 and has since served in a variety of roles, including department chair and director of the program in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry. Ward has previously been a member of the Faculty Council and the Educational Affairs Committee, for which he served as co-chair. 

Ward has also done a considerable amount of research on molecular genetics in mammals, ticks and corals, serving as a mentor to many students in his BiHall lab over the years. “One of Jeremy’s most impressive contributions to our community has been his work as a mentor to many students in his Bi Hall lab,” Patton and McCauley wrote. 

“I am very excited about the role because it looks at the undergraduate College from a very broad perspective ranging from athletics, to the academic affairs staff, to our faculty and curriculum,” Ward wrote in an email to The Campus. 

Ward added that the college community often views athletics, academic affairs staff, faculty and the curriculum as very different entities, but they share common goals related to student, faculty and staff success. “I am interested in leveraging this perspective to better understand the relationships between these different parts of the College in order to provide all members of our community the opportunity to thrive here at Middlebury,” he wrote. 

The Vice President of Academic Affairs position will be separated from the Dean of the Faculty role in an effort to increase support for faculty across elements of their work, Patton and McCauley wrote. Jim Ralph, who has served as interim vice president for academic affairs since January, will continue as dean of the faculty through the 2023-24 academic year. 

Maggie Reynolds

Maggie Reynolds '24 (she/her) is the Editor in Chief.  

Maggie previously served as the Senior Local Editor, a Local Section Editor, and a Staff Writer. She spent this past J-term interning for VTDigger, covering topics from affordable housing in Addison County to town government scandals. She also interned for Seven Days VT as an arts & culture reporter summer 2022 and as a news reporter for the Daily Gazette in Schenectady, NY summer 2021.   

Maggie is majoring in History and minoring in Political Science and Spanish. She was a three-year member of the Women's Swimming and Diving team. Maggie enjoys running, hiking, and iced maple lattes.