Trifecta of Middlebury teams win NESCAC Championships

Members of the women's track and field team celebrate after winning the NESCAC Championship.

Middlebury athletics saw enormous success this past weekend as the women’s track and field team, men’s golf team and men’s tennis team all won NESCAC championships.

Women’s Track and Field:

The women’s track and field team, competing at Connecticut College’s athletic complex, won their second straight NESCAC Championship, accumulating 154 total points.

At the women’s meet, 15 Panthers recorded All-NESCAC performances, signifying that they finished in the top three for their respective events. Top performers included Madeline Saunders ’25, who was the women’s individual discus champion, Cady Barnes ’23, who was the runner-up in the long jump (5.50 meters) and triple jump (11.51 meters) and Jaxon Palmer ’25, who finished in third place in the women’s javelin (34.78 meters).

The team still has a few more competitions after NESCACs. From May 12 to 13, the team will compete at the Open New England Championships, and on May 17, members of the team plan to go to the Williams Last Chance Qualifier, giving members one final tuneup and qualification opportunity before the NCAA Championships on May 25 to 26 in Rochester, N.Y.

Men’s Tennis:

In Williamstown, Mass., the men’s tennis team won their third straight NESCAC championship in a 5–4 win against Bowdoin. The team also defeated Colby and Tufts earlier in the weekend to reach the finals.

After losing to Bowdoin 5–4 earlier in the season, the Panthers played a strong game to avenge their early season loss. In the final game, Noah Laber ’24 battled against tough Bowdoin competition to secure the championship for Middlebury.

Men’s Golf:

The Middlebury men’s golf team dominated in the NESCAC championships this past weekend. The team won the tournament with an enormous 15 stroke lead.

Hogan Beazley ’23 and Colin McCaigue ’24 both had massive performances. The pair tied for first place in the tournament. Not far behind was Sean McGarrity ’23, who came in sixth place with a two-day score of 111.

The championship also comes in Coach Bill Beaney’s last season at the helm of the golf team. Beaney has been the head men’s golf coach since 1988 and has now won 10 men’s golf NESCACChampionships. Beaney was also the men’s hockey coach from 1987 to 2015, when he led the Panthers to eight NESCAC Championships. He is one of the most successful and decorated coaches in Middlebury Athletics' history.

Select members of the team are now preparing to compete at the NCAA Men’s Golf Championships in Nicholasville, Ky. from May 16 to 19.