Women’s crew buoyed by strong performance at the Head of the Charles

The women’s crew team capped off an outstanding season with a strong team performance at the Head of the Charles regatta, an event that bills itself as one of the largest regattas in the world.

The women’s varsity eight finished firmly in the middle of the pack, arriving 17th out of 36 teams, while the varsity four finished an impressive 12th out of 35 boats. Both boats earned automatic re-entries into next year’s regatta on account of their performances. The season also saw the varsity eight and four place 13th and 15th respectively at the Head of the Fish, as well as ninth and third at the Quinsigamond Snake Regatta.

With an encouraging fall season behind them, the women’s crew team is looking forward to the spring as a chance to prove themselves at the American Collegiate Rowing Association (ACRA) Championships. Sydney Rogers ’25 has high hopes for the team, particularly for the team’s younger members.

“All the novices this year are picking up the sport quickly,” Rogers said. “I’m excited to watch them progress more in the spring season.”

“I would say the [past] season was super successful. All the boats improved a ton, and people learned a lot individually as rowers,” she said. “All our coxswains are truly the MVP’s because we wouldn’t have any successes without their guidance.”

With respect to the ACRA Championships, the team is looking to build off strong results last year in Tennessee, when the varsity eight placed second in their heat to bring home hard-earned medals. With an improved roster, Rogers thinks the team can do even better this year.

An impressive season all around suggests there is a promising future in store for the Panthers at ACRA this upcoming spring.

Ryan Heinzerling

Ryan Heinzerling '24 (he/him/his) is one of the Sports Editors!  

He's studying English and Political Science. Outside of his studies, Ryan is also a member of the Middlebury College Ski Patrol, has a radio show at WRMC, and spent this previous summer working as a Corporate Partners Intern at the New York Mets!