News in Brief: Board of Trustees approves 4.5% tuition increase

<p>The Board of Trustees raised tuition by 4.5% for the 2022–23 academic year.</p>

The Board of Trustees raised tuition by 4.5% for the 2022–23 academic year.

The Board of Trustees approved a 4.5% increase in tuition on March 15, raising the total cost of undergraduate tuition to $62,000 and room and board to $17,800 for the 2022–23 academic year. Additionally, the student activities fee will increase $20 to $460, bringing the total cost of attendance at Middlebury to more than $80,000. 

An announcement released by the college on March 23 mentioned the Covid-19 pandemic and inflation as continuing financial burdens. The announcement also emphasized how admission to Middlebury is need-blind and full demonstrated financial need is met. Almost 50% of students receive financial aid, with an average grant of around $57,000. 

The Board of Trustees has approved annual rises in tuition over the past couple of years. Tuition was raised 3.25% for the 2019–20 school year, and another 3.73 percent for the 2020–21 year. In February 2021, tuition was raised 2.5% for the current academic year as the Board of Trustees took measures to balance the budget.

“While the increase is higher than some in recent years, we are able to keep it to 4.5 percent — below the inflation rate of 7.5 percent — because of positive investment returns on the endowment and robust enrollments,” Associate Vice President for Student Financial Services Kim Downs-Burns said in an email to parents. 

The tuition increase is not unique to Middlebury. Williams College and Tufts University will increase tuition by 3.5%, Colby College by 3.75%, and Hamilton College and Amherst College by 4.5%. Other NESCAC schools have not yet announced tuition rates for the 2022–23 academic year.  

Charlie Keohane

Charlie Keohane ’24 (she/her) is an Editor at Large. She previously served as the SGA Correspondent and a Senior Writer.   

She is an environmental writing major and a psychology minor from Northern California. Outside of academics, Charlie is a Senior Admissions Fellow at the Middlebury Admissions Office. She also is involved with the women’s track team and hosts Witching Hour, a radio show on 91.1 WRMC. In Spring 2023, she studied abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark. In her free time, she enjoys hiking, watching Greta Gerwig movies, polar plunging, sending snail mail, and FaceTiming her rescue dog, Poppy.