Koby Altman ’04 earns contract extension with the Cavaliers

Koby Altman ’04 recently received a contract extension and promotion with the Cleveland Cavaliers. (Courtesy of Todd Balfour)

On Wednesday, Jan. 12, Cleveland Cavaliers general manager Koby Altman ’04 landed a contract extension with the team. He was also promoted to president of basketball operations.

Altman was hired as general manager in 2017 and has led the team through several ups and downs. The Cavaliers reached the NBA Finals in 2018 before plummeting to one of the worst records in the NBA last season (22–50). But things are looking up this season, with the Cavaliers in sixth place in the Eastern Conference (27–19). 

Altman was a three-year starter on the men’s basketball team at Middlebury. Head Coach Jeff Brown had nothing but praise for his former player. 

“It’s really impressive what he’s done at a relatively young age in the sport of basketball,” Brown said. “It speaks volumes about the type of person he is and the type of leadership skills that he possesses.”

Altman looks to build on his success this year with the Cavs and navigate the team to its first playoff appearance since 2018.