Morris wins top prize, Raman finishes second in ITA Cup

<p>Stan Morris ’22 won first prize in the ITA Cup men’s singles championship on Oct. 16.</p>

Stan Morris ’22 won first prize in the ITA Cup men’s singles championship on Oct. 16.

Yet another Panther has learned that the view from the top is quite nice.

On Oct. 16, Stan Morris ’22 won the men’s singles championship at the ITA Cup, a national tournament hosted in Rome, Georgia. Morris, who was the men’s singles runner-up at the ITA Cup in 2019, will now take this momentum into the team’s spring season. 

“While there were ups and downs throughout the event, I was able to maintain my composure and work my way through the difficult moments, ultimately finding my best tennis in the final set of the championship match,” Morris said.

Morris follows in men’s tennis Head Coach Andrew Thomson’s ’10 footsteps with the win. Thomson won the men’s doubles championship at the ITA Cup for Middlebury in 2007 and 2009. 

Elsewhere, Sahana Raman ’25 of the Middlebury women’s tennis team also had an impressive run in the women’s singles championship at the ITA Cup. Reaching the title match, Ramana fell in three sets 6–3, 5–7, 2–6, but boasted an overall 11–1 record in her first year representing the Panthers.

image2.jpg

Sahana Raman ’25 placed second in the ITA Cup singles championship.

With championship experience in their repertoire, both Morris and Raman will look to the spring for another chance to compete at the top level.