Review: Women's track and field

<span class="photocreditinline"><a href="https://middleburycampus.com/staff_profile/van-barth/">Van Barth</a></span><br />Ciara Dale ’24 (center) and Audrey Grimes ’23 (back) race for women’s track &amp; field on Saturday.
Van Barth
Ciara Dale ’24 (center) and Audrey Grimes ’23 (back) race for women’s track & field on Saturday.

In their second dual meet of the season, women’s track and field reigned victorious over Hamilton College, 102–69. Out of 18 total events, Middlebury placed first in 14, winning every event they participated in.

In the short distance races, Eva Kaiden 23 placed first in the 100m dash (13.04) for the second week in a row, while Michelle Louis 24 also took first in the 200m dash (25.87). Gretchen McGrath 21.5 also climbed atop the leaderboard, winning the 400m dash (59.17). 

Saturday also marked senior day for the Panthers, honoring McGrath, Simone Ameer ’21.5, Lauren Boyd ’21, Kate Holly ’21, Kai Milici ’21, Chloe Smith ’21, Victoria Toth ’21 and Emma Walsh ’21.

“Our senior class has been such great role models and leaders especially under the circumstances of Covid and having a big team,” McGrath, who will graduate next February, claimed. “I believe we’ve done an awesome job creating this healthy culture of support and care; the entire team knows everyone is there for everyone else.”

In the distance races, Katelyn Paese 22 finished far ahead of the pack in the 800m (2:18.98), while Smith prevailed in the 5000m (18:53.91). Cassie Kearney 22 also set the Dragone Field record in the 1500m (4:34.09), previously held by Catherine Beck from Tufts University in 2007 (4:35.28).

“I hadn’t run the 1500m since freshman year, but I just wanted to go for it,” Kearney delighted. “I’ve been training so hard all throughout the winter, and I feel like I'm the strongest I've ever been as a runner — so I knew I could lay it all out there.”

In the 4x100m relay, Middlebury’s team consisting of Liza Toll 24, Kaiden, Jackie Topping 22 and Joely Virzi 24 edged Hamilton by four seconds (50.34). The Panthers also won the 4x400m relay with a squad of Ashley Raynor 24, Kearney, McGrath and Louis, crossing the finish line in 4:08.13. 

In the field events, Cady Barns 22 was a two-event winner for the second straight week, leaping to wins in the long jump (5.41m) and the triple jump (11.63). Eliza Broughton 22 similarly impressed in the 3000m steeplechase (11:52.27), while Walsh was Middlebury’s lone victorious thrower in the javelin (30.90m).

Women’s track and field will look to stay hot next weekend at Williams College, with action beginning at 11 a.m.