Review: Women's softball

<span class="photocreditinline">Van Barth</span><br />Senior captain Kaylee Gumm ’21 prepares to hit during a match against Amherst.
Van Barth
Senior captain Kaylee Gumm ’21 prepares to hit during a match against Amherst.

Women’s softball (4–10) went head-to-head against Amherst this weekend, playing two games on Saturday and one on Sunday. Falling 2–7, 4–5, and 10–11 respectively, the Panthers walked away without a victory. 

The Panthers played at home for both games on Saturday, celebrating seniors Kaylee Gumm ’21, Melanie Mandell ’21 and Emily Moore ’21 in their final season as Panthers.  

In the opening game, Middlebury was not on the board until the fifth inning, when a lead-off double by Gumm was batted in by Moore. In spite of this, Amherst scored a run every inning, precluding a Middlebury comeback.  

In the second game, Gumm distinguished herself with a two-run homer in the fourth inning, tying the game at 3–3. But Amherst regained the lead in the fifth inning and never looked back, winning 4–5.

In the weekend’s final match on Sunday, Middlebury staged a comeback during the top of the seventh inning, scoring five runs and foiling a 10–5 deficit. The Panthers hit a season-high 16 hits in Sunday’s fixture but ultimately fell to Amherst 10–11.

Women’s softball will continue their season this weekend, facing Hamilton for two home games on Saturday, May 8.