Review: Women's track and field

In their first competition since March 7, 2020, Middlebury women’s track and field dominated in their season opener, beating Union College 97–58. Middlebury finished first in 14 of 18 events. 

Eva Kaiden ’23 had a big day for the Panthers, placing first in the 100-meter dash (13.03) and the 200m dash (26.92) — as well as the 4x100m relay (50.85), where she was joined by Liza Toll ’24, Jackie Topping ’22 and Joely Virzi ’24.

“I haven’t run the 4x100 relay since my senior year of high school,” Kaiden said. “Just being out on the track and doing real handoffs felt really nice.”

Middlebury also won the 4x400m relay (4:07.67) by eight seconds, a team consisting of Dana Glackin ’22, Michelle Louie ’24, Ashley Raynor ’24 and Gretchen McGrath ’21.

Cady Barns ’22 also had a solid day in the field, winning both the long jump (5.32m) and the triple jump (11.36m). Both were personal records for Barns. 

“I was at home last semester, working and training, hoping we’d have an outdoor season,” Barns said. “I think that served me well because I feel really fresh coming into the season.”

Mary Scott Robinson ’24 dominated in the field events, winning both the hammer throw (38.76m) and the shot put (12.12). Her shot put distance broke the Middlebury record set by Helene Rowland ’20 in 2017 (11.95m). 

“Recruiting her, I knew she was a good thrower and that she’d do well for us eventually,” head coach Martin Beatty said. “I didn’t know she would do this at the first meet!”

In addition to those who competed at Dragone Field on Saturday, nine Panthers traveled to Tufts to compete in longer distance events against Connecticut College, Wesleyan University, Tufts University and Trinity College.

At Tufts, Cassie Kearney ’22 and Nicole Johnson ’22 finished first (2:11.81) and second (2:13.66), respectively, in the 800m. Eliza Broughton ’22 also finished sixth in the 3000m steeplechase. 

Middlebury will host Hamilton College this Saturday, May 8, at Dragone Field with the action starting at 12 p.m.