Review: Women's softball

<span class="photocreditinline">Middlebury Athletics</span><br />Jewel Ashbrook ’23 allowed no runs in Middlebury’s first match against Hamilton this weekend.
Middlebury Athletics
Jewel Ashbrook ’23 allowed no runs in Middlebury’s first match against Hamilton this weekend.

Women’s softball (6–10) battled Hamilton (6–7) twice at home this weekend, marking their last two contests of the season. After dropping two games to the Continentals two weekends ago, the Panthers had a strong showing this time around, winning the first game, 3–2, and the second, 6–1.

In the first match, Hamilton tallied a two-run lead in the bottom of the fifth inning, but a home run from Kaylee Gumm ’21 and a run from pinch runner Kate Likhite ’23 brought the Panthers ahead by one – a lead they would secure for the win. Pitcher Jewel Ashbrook ’23 allowed no earned runs on five hits and struck out two.

In the second contest, the Panthers jumped out to an early lead, winning 4–0 at the top of the third. Melanie Mandell ’21 and Lizzie Hannafey ’23 also scored for the Panthers, extending the lead to 6–0. Pitcher Chloe McNamara ’23 allowed only one run in the win, with Hamilton scoring once in the seventh to end McNamara’s shutout. 

“It was one of those weekends where everything was coming together at the same time offensively and defensively allowing us to play and win two games to finish off the season,” Jordyn Johnson ’23 said.