News in Brief: Winter Carnival to take place from March 12–20

<a href="https://middleburycampus.com/53879/news/board-of-trustees-approves-tuition-hike-takes-steps-toward-balanced-budget/attachment/wc/" rel="attachment wp-att-53881"></a> <span class="photocreditinline"><a href="https://middleburycampus.com/staff_profile/benjy-renton/">Benjy Renton</a></span><br />Though it normally only spans one weekend, Winter Carnival will feature a full eight days of events in order to make activities accessible despite gathering size limits.
Benjy Renton
Though it normally only spans one weekend, Winter Carnival will feature a full eight days of events in order to make activities accessible despite gathering size limits.

The Middlebury College Activities Board (MCAB) has been hard at work organizing a socially distant Winter Carnival to take place from March 12–20. The events will be a mix of indoor, outdoor and virtual activities. The final itinerary for the weekend will be sent out to students next week.

“The weekend will have larger events, and the weekdays will have smaller repeating events so everyone has the opportunity to participate in them,” Chloe Fleischer ’21.5, the MCAB traditions co-executive who has been leading the planning effort, said. 

The carnival will span eight days this year to make activities accessible for all students despite capacity limitations. 

Instead of the usual day at the Snowbowl, MCAB has organized neon ski and sledding to take place on the Mead Chapel hill on March 13. 

“We will have a mid-2000s themed glow-in-the-dark dance and are hoping it will be available digitally and in-person with hula hoops to maintain distance,” Fleischer said. 

Students can also participate in night sledding and a virtual escape room the evening of March 13.

“We will also have music, lights, fire pits and hot cocoa to make a great atmosphere,” Fleischer said. 

On March 19, students can look forward to live performance art fest featuring students in WOMP and a cappella, stand-up comedy, and improv groups. 

Instead of the traditional Winter Ball, student DJs will be performing in different locations so students can dance at a “Mask-erade ball” on March 20. 

The organization of some activities later in the weekend is reliant on whether students follow Covid-19 protocols in the initial events. Students can sign up for events with limited capacity on Presence and can check MCAB social media and email announcements for the final itinerary next week. 

Lily Jones

Lily Jones ’23 is an online editor and senior writer.

She previously served as a Senior News Writer and SGA Correspondent.

Jones is double majoring in Philosophy and Political Science. She  also is an intern for the Rohatyn Center for Global Affairs and on the  ultimate frisbee team.