Michael McCormack ’20 earns prestigious award for University of Vermont men’s lacrosse

Just two weeks into his graduate season, Michael McCormack ’20 picked up an award for the University of Vermont Catamounts. 

After scoring eight goals across two games in early March, the attackman was tabbed American East Offensive Player of the Week. On March 3, McCormack netted six against UMass Lowell — the most by a Catamount in a single game since 2018 — and tacked on two more against Syracuse on March 6. 

The American East is a competitive D-I lacrosse conference, including teams like UAlbany, Stony Brook and UMass Lowell. These squads frequently feature in the NCAA D-I tournament.

McCormack-1-475x315
Michael McCormack ’20 (left) scored twice against nationally-ranked Syracuse on March 6. (Courtesy: Michael McCormack)

“It’s nice to get validated coming from D-III,” McCormack said. “I didn’t even give [the award] any thought, but it’s nice to get.”

Last Saturday, McCormack continued his scoring streak in Vermont’s 14–12 win over University of Albany. McCormack pitched in two goals and an assist in the contest, sending him to second on the Catamounts in points (15) and tied first for goals (12). 

“We’re definitely feeling that chemistry so far,” McCormack said. “We’re learning each other's tendencies, playing off of one another, and talking to one another. We’re moving the ball better and better every time we step on the field.”

McCormack has shown no growing pains in adjusting from the D-III level, where he spent three seasons with the Panthers. In his time at Middlebury, he was a First Team All-NESCAC and Third Team All-American attackman.

Now up in Burlington, McCormack and the UVM Catamounts will look to build on their 2–2 record. Their next match is against New Jersey Institute of Technology on Saturday, March 20. 

“We’re continuing to learn from all the games we’ve had. Just getting better and better.”

Blaise Siefer

Blaise Siefer ‘23.5 is a sports staff writer.

Siefer is majoring in Sociology and minoring in Spanish.

For three semesters in 2021 and 2022, Siefer served as Senior Sports Editor. He also co-founded a Middlebury sports recap podcast, PFL Weekly, which is released on all major streaming platforms every Tuesday. 

Siefer is also the Co-Founder and Co-President of Middlebury Club Soccer.