News in Brief

SEXUAL ASSAULT AWARENESS AND PREVENTION MONTH

The college is observing Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month (SAAPM) throughout the month of April. The goal of SAAPM is to increase awareness surrounding sexual assault and to engage students in discussions about preventing violence and supporting survivors. 

Director of health and wellness Barbara McCall explained that while the events planned for the month used to focus on awareness, they have increasingly begun to address prevention. 

“An increased level of base awareness has paved the way for the month to highlight action-oriented themes like violence prevention,” McCall said. 

Throughout the month of April, there will be a weekly “Self-Care for Survivors” workshop on Wednesday afternoons. The workshop is aimed at survivors but is open to all. 

The month will end with two events hosted by Karen B.K. Chan. Chan is a sex and emotional literacy educator from Toronto, Canada who uses stories, metaphors and diagrams to facilitate productive dialogue and work through difficult conversations about challenging topics. Chan is also known for her accessible style of education and her ability to make people laugh.

On April 17, Chan will host “Sexy Bingo” which will test participants’ sexual health knowledge. The following night, April 18, she will co-lead an event with student activists entitled “Empowerment, Allyship, & Calling In: A Workshop for Activists.” The event will discuss concrete ways in which individuals can work to combat sexual assault. 

SAAPM is sponsored by the Office of Health and Wellness Education, Green Dot, the SGA Committee on Sexual and Relationship Respect, Sex Positive Education College Style (SPECS), and the Title IX team.

A complete calendar of events can be found at go/saapm18/. 

- Caroline Kapp

SGA PASSES STUDENT TRUSTEE BILL 

The Students-Trustees Representation and Engagement Bill passed in the SGA Senate on Sunday with one senator opposed. The bill recommends to the administration that an additional student constituent be added to the College Board of Overseers, that the terms of the student constituents be increased to two years, and that the student constituents be given voting power in the board.

A proposed bylaw amendment which would make Commons Senator positions semester long position passed with three senators opposed and two abstaining. The change will allow students who are studying abroad for part of the year able to participate in SGA. 

Opponents to the amendment pointed out that it would be logistically difficult to implement, and that the transition would create confusion. The amendment passed with three opposed and two abstaining. One of the amendment’s cosponsors, Wonnacott Commons Senator Anthony Salas, plans to study abroad next spring.

However, the change will not take effect for another week, since changes to the SGA’s bylaws require that they be revealed to the student body prior to approval. 

- Eric Kapner

ALUMNUS AND PROFESSOR NOMINATED FOR PEABODYS

Two members of the Middlebury community — an alumnus and a current professor — were nominated for Peabody Awards on Monday, April 10.

Andrew Ackerman ’13, served as co-producer and cinematographer for Chasing Coral, a Netflix documentary that followed a team of divers, photographers, and scientists as they documented the demise of the world’s coral reefs.

David Miranda Hardy, a professor in the Film & Media Culture department, received a nomination for his Chilean television series Bala Loca, which he co-created, wrote, and produced.

The Peabody Awards are among the most prestigious awards in storytelling, and “represent the most compelling and empowering stories released in electronic media during 2017.” The winners will be announced on Saturday, May 19 in New York. 

- Will DiGravio