Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Black History Matters Today

Happy Black History Month! As part of the United States Bicentennial in 1976, the U.S. government recognized Black History Month, which was formerly unacknowledged throughout most of the country. President Gerald Ford’s announcement was intended to urge all citizens to honor the achievements of blacks in America.

I begin with this exclamation to emphasize that February has significance beyond romance and a much appreciated long weekend — thank you, George Washington. February is also a time to especially recognize the accomplishments of African-Americans throughout history. This is an obvious statement, but right now Black History Month requires special emphasis. Given the condition of our country, this national commemoration needs to be taken up with renewed vigor. America is currently facing ethnic polarization that requires serious attention. Celebrating black history is not the solution to America’s racial strata, but perhaps it can mitigate some of the tension.

As we know, Black History Month lives on today; however, it exists subconsciously. This is somewhat understandable because to “honor” can be a vague term. How exactly are people supposed to demonstrate their acknowledgement of black accomplishments? Should every American memorize the names of black inventors during February? Well not quite, but public forums (especially on college campuses) about what it means and has meant to be black in America would be appropriate. Marches in town or even public recitations of speeches from the Civil Rights movement would also be effective ways to honor black history.

This kind of active commemoration would benefit America as a whole, and hopefully help the American mind become more aware of the current racial dichotomy. Understanding the past allows one to better assess the present and anticipate the future. Thus, by consciously recognizing black history and understanding the achievements of black men and women, perhaps we can more adeptly address race issues.

Racial tension in America today is not too different from that which segregation perpetuated 50 years ago. The situation is not as conspicuous, but ethnic stratification does exist in this country. Most of those in the top strata are white, and the lower strata are dominated by nonwhite groups. White privilege is still present and impoverished black communities throughout America are underserved. There is systematic racism, which has its origins in slavery and later manifested itself through “white flight” that unfairly favors white citizens. Slavery put African-Americans at a disadvantage because blacks were forced into the lowest class of society. Then instituted segregation and its underlying forms, like white flight, furthered the inequality of conditions. Blacks were stuck in communities with worse housing, job opportunities, education and resources. Moreover, we have yet to attain the ideals propagated and sought after by Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X. For this reason, Black History Month has more significance in American life now than ever before. We need to look to our country’s history and recognize that the great intellectuals and achievers would be slightly underwhelmed by the insubstantial progress that has been made.

In the past year specifically, a much larger percentage of black men have been incarcerated, frisked and shot at. That is not because black men are inherently criminals; it is quite clearly not nature. A systematic flaw is latent and it must be confronted to put an end to the kind of headlines that dominated the later part of 2014. Events that occurred in Ferguson, Staten Island and Cleveland, whether a product of racial profiling or not, highlight an unjustifiable trend in America. Addressing these issues will take more than public policy and definitely more than Black History Month. However, the racial tension we see today is the reason why black history must be taken more seriously. If you do not understand your past, you are bound to repeat it.

I look forward to the day that we do not need a designated month to especially appreciate the contributions of black men and women. This being said, that time has not come yet and this celebration in February is very much necessary. It is necessary for blacks, whites and all Americans to honor and acknowledge the achievements of African-Americans throughout history.