Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Who's To Blame?

The Hebdo attacks in Paris were heinous and unjustifiable. Acts of terrorism are tactless and cowardly because they use murder to convey beliefs. Killing the people you disagree with is not especially difficult. Conversely, it is hard to challenge opinions and address conflicts through speech, writing and protest. The Muslim extremists’ actions were irrefutably wrong in many ways; they infringed on freedom of expression, murdered, and kidnapped. 

A proper response to the Hebdo satirical cartoon would have perhaps been for a prominent Muslim cleric to write a piece and request that The Guardian publish it or make a globally broadcasted speech. In such a response, the cleric could explain how it is incredibly offensive to mock the Prophet Muhammad or even depict him at all. I envision the cleric’s response also including a detailed summary of Islam. This would inform the non-Muslim global community and provide context for those ignorant of how Hebdo’s satire was offensive. This sort of peaceful, adept reaction to Hebdo’s crude humor would convey the same message as the terrorist attacks without murder and terror throughout France.

Extremism is an isolated ideology because it condones extreme acts of violence against those with differing opinions: the infidels. It is a selfish and disgusting mindset. Fanatics believe their principles should be unanimous throughout the world. Instead of striving to better society, fundamentalists strike down pluralism and proclaim their beliefs as dogma that everyone should agree with. Extremists despise people with other values because they threaten their own egos and certainty. 

The crimes we saw in Paris are how fanatics respond to mockery and opposition. To preserve the freedoms and order we cherish, the global community must continue to denounce these egregious acts as it has already. The cartoonists did not die in vain; people around the world are standing in solidarity to condemn the violence and defend freedom of expression. This movement is essential to protect our rights to “the pen” and show how peaceful, tactful actions convey a message much better than brutality. 

However, I am wary of what else may come out of the “Je suis Charlie” development. I fear that there will be further subjection and marginalization of Muslims. It begins with the extremists, who really do more harm for their cause than good. People are even more inclined to resent the beliefs of extremism after terrorist attacks. The masses associate anyone of that religion/political party/ethnicity with the radicals and direct animosity at them.

My concern is that “Je suis Charlie” can simultaneously create anti-Islam sentiments. Subconsciously, people will side with Charlie and vilify Islam. The situation is by no means binary but it could unwittingly be interpreted that way. The entire Muslim community will be labeled anti-free speech and ostracized for the actions of a few fundamentalists. It is not unfathomable because it has been done to other groups throughout history — after WWII there were Japanese internment camps throughout America. It is important to recognize that Islam has nothing to do with what occurred in France, but rather it was a result of twisted ideologues.

Islam is the world’s second most popular religion, but probably the most misunderstood and stereotyped. This is a product of terrorism carried out by the outliers within the religion. The majority of Muslims denounce the attacks and, while they found the cartoon offensive, still advocate for free expression. Islam is also not the first or last religion to have heinous and violent extremists wreaking havoc. Islamic fundamentalism today actually resembles the Crusades of the Middle Ages a bit. The Latin Roman Catholic Church sought to seize land from the infidels, proclaiming spiritual immunity, etc. to all who joined the Crusade. Al-Qaeda promised the young Saudi men who carried out 9/11 similar ethereal pleasures. It is not that Islam, Christianity, or any other religion is inherently cruel; it is the monster within certain people. 

Given the proliferation of Muslim extremism in the past decade, it would behoove people to learn more about Islam. The stereotypes perpetuated in media can be dispelled by proactively seeking a better understanding of the religion. Only the outliers (good or evil) make it into the headlines so they should not be the basis from which opinions are formed. The “Je suis Charlie” movement is an excellent and appropriate response to the Hebdo events provided that it does not marginalize and isolate the Muslim community.