College Seeks to Clarify Party Registration

There has been considerable confusion and debate among students about Middlebury’s party registration policies following the Nov. 2 forum on social issues hosted by the administration. 

The policies, which can be found at go/party, distinguish between three types of parties: licensed parties, registered parties, and informal gatherings. Licensed parties can be open (i.e. they do not need a guest list), charge for alcohol, catered, and large. However, the fact that they are open means that they have to get a liquor license from the State of Vermont. Informal gatherings refer to small gatherings of students over age 21, and only have to be registered if they use a keg, and even then do not need to abide by as stringent regulations as licensed or registered parties. Registered parties were created to provide a middle ground between state-regulated licensed parties and small informal gatherings.

Middlebury began requiring party registration to help comply with Vermont state liquor law. Associate Dean of Students for Residential and Student Life Douglas Adams, who is the main overseer of party registration, notes that the actions of the state’s Attorney General and particularly of the liquor inspector, not state legislation, are primarily responsible for registration policies.

“The impetus for the original registration policies really came from the state coming to small house parties on campus and other events where the liquor inspector really had an active presence on campus which we don’t see as much any more,” Adams said. “If you follow these registration requirements, and do a good job, you’re probably not going to have very many problems with the state.”

Party registration aims to allow students to have large parties without having to deal with state regulations, as well as to educate students on party safety and Vermont state law.

“Having a process that educates party hosts, emphasizes safety and compliance, and is managed internally reduces the need for outside enforcement agencies to become involved in these matters,” said Associate Director of Public Safety Dan Gaiotti.

Though the policy is officially in place because of state law, aspects of the policy have other motivations, including student health, transparency and ease of enforcement for Public Safety and the Vermont government. Restrictions on hard alcohol and drinking games are in place because of health concerns, for example.

“It’s a good indicator to Public Safety and the town [of Middlebury] about where parties are taking place,” Adams said. “There’s limited resources and staff in Public Safety. [Registered parties] tend to be the large parties, and therefore they tend to take on more resources.”

One concern that students have raised about registered parties being shut down. According to Gaiotti, 27 of the 69 registered parties held in the past two years have been ended early, although 22 of these were ended at the request of the host. Gaiotti notes further that “Illegal or unregistered parties get shut down much more frequently.”