Plattsburgh Bests Men’s Ice Hockey in PrimeLink Finals

The Middlebury men’s hockey team kept its legs churning over Thanksgiving break, moving past Norwich in a shootout on Friday, Nov. 29 to reach the finals of the 2013 PrimeLink tournament on Saturday, Nov. 30 before falling to unbeaten Plattsburgh. The team now stands at 3-1-2 on the season, having added two narrow wins on the road at Tufts on Friday, Nov. 22 and Connecticut College on Saturday, Nov. 23.

Michael Longo ’14 stayed positive after the PrimeLink final loss to Plattsburgh.

“We started a little slow and they got three quick goals on us,” Longo said. “But, for most of the game we played right there with them and [Louis Belisle ’14] scored an incredible goal.”

Eleven minutes into the third period, with Middlebury three goals down after just six minutes in the first period, Belisle carried the puck through the slot, windmilled around two defenders to his left and snapped the puck up into the top shelf. Goalie Nicholas BonDurant ’14, who shut Plattsburgh down for the final two periods, recognized the opposing goaltender and MVP of the tournament.

“That was the only kind of shot that was going to beat their goalie, he played an amazing game,” Bondurant said.

After the finals loss to Plattsburgh, Coach Bill Beaney told Channel 3 reporters, “Our execution wasn’t what I had hoped it would be, but part of that was just that I think Plattsburgh played well.”

The Panthers went to a shootout against Norwich on Friday after finishing regulation play tied at one goal apiece. In the second period, Evan Neugold ’16 corralled a high shot toward the crease and bullied his defender while Longo found the loose puck for the goal. Norwich tied the game eight minutes later when a Norwich forward lurking well wide of the far post deflected a low shot behind his back and across the line.

Last year, the Cadets ousted Middlebury from the Primelink tournament by scoring three goals in the final 10 minutes to win 5-4.

“That was our motivation throughout the game,” Belisle said. “We got together after the third period and said ‘We’re not giving the Cadets another chance. We’re taking this one. This is our game, this is our year.’”

The Panthers earned the first goal in the game in the second period after Longo struck home a rebound in the crease. Norwich tied the game up on the power play with 3:47 left in the second period. William Pelletier converted on a pass from Corey Hale, sneaking the puck just past Michael Peters ’15 inside the left post.

In the shootout against Norwich, Jake Charles ’16, who already has four goals on the season, drew a circle around the puck, ducked a shoulder, and a quick forehand shot wedged tightly into the top right corner for the first goal. The left-handed Belisle went forehand-backhand-forehand to open up space below the blocker arm for the second. Middlebury keeper Peters was perfect on his end, denying both Norwich shooters and shaking his head wildly after taking the win.

Peters showed confidence in his teammates under the bulbs of the Channel 3 news cameras.

“This is a team where our mantra has been ‘Let’s go out and play some hockey’ and we believe that if we play the best hockey we can, we can skate with anyone in this league,” Peters said.

Middlebury showed its dominance within the NESCAC the previous weekend, beating Tufts and Connecticut College to become 3-0-1 in conference play.

Nine total penalties hurt the Tufts team, as Captain Robbie Donahoe ’14 and Derek Pimentel ’15 both cashed in goals on two-man advantages. At even strength, first-year to watch Mike Najjar ’17 tallied his first of the season, and Neugold scored another. Tufts tested Middlebury’s nerves in the third period, cutting the margin to 4-3, but the Panthers held on for the win.

At Connecticut College, the Panthers took down the camels in an overtime 5-4 thriller.

Middlebury carried a 3-2 advantage after the first period and clung to a 4-3 edge heading into the second intermission. With 50.6 seconds left in regulation, Greg Liautaud connected with JC Cangelosi near the left circle to put away the 4-4 equalizer.

With one minute to go overtime, Donahoe played a feed from the blue line and Charles was able to find the open net for the game-winner and his second goal on the day.

Middlebury pummeled the net with thirty-eight shots and gave up only fifteen, deserving every bit of the hard-fought victory.

The Panthers visit Amherst on Friday, Dec. 6 to battle for supremacy in the NESCAC and will face Hamilton away on Saturday, Dec. 7.