Monday, May 20, 2024

College Shorts

University of Virginia Student Dies During Semester at Sea (The Huffington Post)

Casey Schulman, 22, of the University of Virginia (UVA), died tragically on Saturday, Dec. 1 in a tragic boating accident while studying with the “Semester at Sea” program. Schulman and some friends were snorkeling off of a boat near the island of Dominica in the Caribbean when the driver of the boat backed over Schulman. She sustained fatal injuries and was declared dead at a local hospital.

The MV Explorer, the ship Schulman was aboard during her semester at sea, held a memorial service on Sunday, Dec. 2. A close friend, Katie Dorset, spoke about her friend saying she was “the only person I’ve ever known whose smile could actually light up an entire room.”

UVA’s Vice President and Chief Student Affairs Officer Patricia Lampkin released a statement from the university saying, “Casey Schulman’s death is a cause of much sadness at the University. She was an exceptionally bright light — both in and outside the classroom — and she will long be remembered as a vibrant member of our community.”

Hip-hop Icon Names Visiting Scholar at Cornell University  (The Huffington Post)

Cornell University has invited DJ Africa Bambaataa to serve as a visiting scholar at the prestigious Ivy League institution for a three-year term. Baambatta, a renowned social activist, electronic music pioneer and influential DJ will join the ranks of prominent hip hop artists who have taken time away from their musical careers to teach at prominent institutions of higher education. This year, New York University asked ?uestlove to teach a two-credit music course, and Swizz Beatz to serve as the school’s producer in residence for the Clive Davis Department of Recorded Music at the Tisch School of the Arts. Though many are pleased to see the inclusion of such prominent hip-hop artists amongst the faculty of many of the United State’s top institutions, others have wondered about the accessibility of these classes for those with lower economic status.

Harvard Approves Student Group Supporting Kinky Sex (The Harvard Crimson)

On Nov. 30, Harvard University approved an on-campus student organization for students with a shared affinity for kinky sex, called Harvard College Munch. The group’s mission statement characterizes itself as a “forum for students interested in alternative sexualities to explore their identities and develop a community with their peers.” Formal recognition by the university allows the group to receive grants, post campus notices and use campus meeting spaces. The group, which already counts 30 student members, acknowledges that kink is often associated with bondage, dominance and submission, but does not seek to define kinky sexual behavior and “accepts students with any kinky interest,” according to the group’s constitution. One club member explained that many students feel uncomfortable discussing their sexual practices with some people for fear of being judged, and that the group provides students with the help they need from people who are educated about the kink community.