Men's and Women's Golf Boast Top-Three Tournament Finishes

This women's golf team finished second behind Williams at the New York University invitational this past weekend at the par-72 Pelham Bay Golf Course in Bronx, NY. Following last week's win at the St. Lawrence Invitational held Sept. 8-9, the women completed their second consecutive strong performance in as many weeks.

The tournament at St. Lawrence, in which the women bested second-place Ithaca College by seven strokes, allowed low-scorers Keely Levins '13 (76), Jordan Glatt '15 (77) and Michelle Peng '15 (78) to carry momentum into Pelham Bay this past weekend.

Though Middlebury sat in fourth place after Saturday's rounds were finished, improved scores on Sunday helped solidify the team's second place finish ahead of Amherst and Cortland.

"We never played the two courses we faced this weekend, which was tough," said team captain Levins. "It's never easy to play a course blind. Peng's 36 on the back nine was huge for her. She birdied 12 and 13, [which] was a complete turn around from yesterday."

Levins, one of just two seniors on the team, led the Panthers with a third place finish overall with 154 total strokes. Glatt (160), Peng (161) and Caroline Kenter '14 (165) followed their captain in 10th, 12th and 18th place, respectively. Monica Chow '16 shot a 170 in her Middlebury debut, good for 32nd place – an impressive feat in a field of nearly 70 competitors.

"We know we're all capable of better scores, and hopefully the good moments from this weekend will turn into good collective rounds down the road," Levins said.

The women will have another shot at Williams this weekend at Mt. Holyoke.

Back home at the Ralph Mhyre Golf Course, the Panther men shot their way to a third place finish in the Duke Nelson Tournament, matching their finish in the St. Lawrence Invitational on Sept. 8-9.

Rob Donahoe '14 shot a 73 on Sunday to finish with 152 total strokes and tied for seventh place overall with teammate Chris Atwood '14 as both golfers improved on their ninth-place tie in the St. Lawrence Invitational. Eric Laorr '15 was one shot off their pace, finishing the tournament tied for 12th place with 153 strokes. Captain Billy Prince '13 and Charlie Garcia '15 rounded out the group, meanwhile, with a pair of 163s.

"The course and conditions made for a tough test, but we battled well," said Prince. "Though we all could have shaved a few strokes out there, I don't think our performance is anything to hang our heads at. We will build on this going forward."

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute won the tournament with 607 total strokes, completing a stunning 15-stroke comeback on day two to shoot its way back to the top of the leader board from a sixth place tie on day one. Skidmore followed closely behind with 613 team strokes while Middlebury (618) snuck  its way into third, finishing one stroke better than fourth place Williams.

The men's team travels this weekend to Williams.