Committee announces senior events

After months of planning, the Senior Committee finalized the events for Senior Week. Beginning on Tuesday, May 17 and ending with Commencement on Sunday, May 22, Senior Week is traditionally the capstone event for graduating seniors.

The week will begin with the Senior Olympics on Tuesday afternoon.

“[Senior Olympics] will be like a carnival. It will have a fun atmosphere,” said Ashley Cheung ’11, co-chair of the Senior Committee.

On Wednesday, there will be a boat cruise on Lake Champlain, one of the newer traditions of Senior Week. Thursday will be Dunmore Day, when seniors have the chance to go and spend the day lounging at Lake Dunmore with their peers.

Friday will begin with a mimosa breakfast at Atwater dining hall, and will conclude with the “Last Chance Dance” in McCullough Social Space that night.

The theme of the dance is “Hello my name is…” Seniors will wear nametags for a last chance to meet their fellow classmates.

Saturday will feature the Senior Formal on Battell Beach. After the formal, the tradition is that the entire senior class spends the night together at Alumni Stadium, watching the sun rise together Sunday morning.

The Senior Committee has been charged with planning all of the senior events, including the 200 and 100 Days parties since the beginning of the year.

“It has been a great experience getting to know Midd better,” Cheung said. However, she added, “It has been a unique challenge for us [this year] because the class is larger than average. Since we [recognized the size] problem earlier in the year, we’ve been able to deal with it since then.”

After months of planning, the Senior Committee is excited about how the events will turn out.

Lucas Alvarez ’11, co-chair of the Senior Committee said, “I am looking forward … most to the Senior Formal because it is our last night. Overall, senior week is a culmination of the best four years of your life. It’s a celebration!”

“Senior Week will be a place to solidify relationships and enjoy your classmates’ company once more before graduation,” he added.

The senior class is also excited for the upcoming events.

“I am really impressed with the wide range of activities the Senior Committee has planned for Senior Week,” said Maria Perille ’11. “I think all of the events will be fantastic, but I'm not going to lie — I'm pretty excited about the Mimosa Reception in Atwater.”

“I also cannot wait to celebrate with all of my peers post-thesis stress but pre-graduation emotional breakdown. It's going to be great,” she added enthusiastically.

The graduating seniors’ excitement is an important part of the planning process for Senior Week.

“We want to thank the senior class for their support.  Without the support, our jobs would be a lot harder,” said Alvarez and Cheung.

Tickets for the Wednesday evening Sunset Cruise will go on sale soon at go/seniorcruise.