Women’s squash mows down Polar Bears, Mules

The Middlebury women’s squash team began 2011 with convincing victories over two NESCAC opponents, Bowdoin and Colby. In matches played at the Simon Squash Center at Williams College, the Panthers left little doubt of their dominance early in the season. By defeating Bowdoin 8-1 and Colby 9-0, the team has lived up to its pre-season ranking.

“You couldn’t ask for a better way to start Winter Term,” said head coach John Illig.

With the exception of a loss by the number one player, Elena Laird ’11.5, the Panthers could not have fared much better. In front of a mixed bag of fans from Middlebury, Bowdoin, Colby, Williams and Bates Colleges, the women sent a strong message about their expectations for the season.

Perhaps the most impressive performance came from a newcomer to the team, Abby Jenkins ’14. Playing number two for the Panthers, Jenkins defeated Elizabeth Warner from Bowdoin in three quick games, allowing just four combined points in the first two games while notching an elusive “bagel” in the clinching game of her match.

“We entered the match with the intention of showing off our improvement,” said Molly Hubbard ’13. “I think its safe to say we did that.”

The Panthers dropped three games in nine individual matches against Bowdoin and only one against Colby.

The road ahead gets much more difficult for the Panthers now that Bowdoin and Colby are behind them. Illig noted that while the victories last weekend were important, the team’s focus has now shifted to next weekend’s matches when the women will face Amherst and Hamilton.

“We are considering ourselves underdogs against a senior-heavy Amherst team, a group we have considered our arch-rivals for the last few years,” Illig said.

When asked for a prediction about the outcome of the Amherst match, Illig had no comment. His team has been successful so far this season against NESCAC rivals, but the coach is clearly not in the habit of counting chickens.

Arriving back at Middlebury early after winter break, the Panthers have endured long and difficult practices for nearly two weeks now. It won’t be long before the women can test their metal against formidable opponents, both in the NESCAC and non-conference.

Last weekend’s definitive outcomes have by no means quenched this squad’s hunger for success.

“This weekend gave us a taste of how strong we can be this season,” said co-captain Virginia Shannon ’11. “The next few weeks will be huge for us as we face the best teams in the country.”

After playing away at Amherst on Saturday, the women’s and men’s teams will make their home court debuts against Hamilton next Sunday.