Student-led plan to keep professor takes off

When Visiting Professor of Education Studies Professor Tara Affolter checked her inbox on Nov. 14, she was in for a big surprise. She was greeted by an e-mail from Jay Saper ’13 alerting her to the fact that he had embarked on a campaign to keep her at Middlebury. At that point, Saper had already met with the Dean of the College and Chief Diversity Officer Shirley Collado, introduced the idea at an Institutional Diversity Committee meeting, and contacted President of the College Ronald Liebowitz about the issue. In his e-mail to Affolter, Jay told her that he’d recently set up a “go/” where students could post comments about how her teaching had affected their lives.

“In no way did I expect it or see it coming,” Affolter said. “It was a delightful surprise.”

As a visiting professor, Affolter’s three-year stint covering for two professors’ sabbaticals is set to come to an end at the end of the 2010-2011 school year, but due to a student-run push, she might just end up staying. Affolter teaches education classes and the popular “Education in America,” and plans to launch a new course, “Education for Social Justice,” this spring.

The process began early this year when Saper began talking with Collado, who agreed to the importance of retaining a professor who had demonstrated such a commitment to promoting diversity on campus.

“[Collado and I] realized that the diversity issues cannot all be reduced to [Collado],” Saper said, “but rather if the school is serious in any way we must all take responsibility to address diversity in our classrooms. [Collado] was excited and agreed that we should definitely try to keep those professors who are currently incorporating diversity into their classroom.”

After talking with Collado, Saper took the issue to the Institutional Diversity Committee under the Student Government Association (SGA), which wholeheartedly supported the effort. Saper then wrote Liebowitz, encouraging him to consider extending Affolter’s stay at the College.

The most visible initiative, however, has been the setup of an online forum in which Affolter’s former students can post comments about how Affolter has specifically affected their lives and academic experiences. Saper e-mailed all of Affolter’s former students saying, “I am sure that all of you have been touched by the tremendous gift that is Professor Affolter ... it would be wonderful if you would demonstrate your support on that site to retain her.”

There was an immediate outpouring of responses. The page, found at go/keepaffolter, has elicited responses that range from the simple, “This is one teacher that you do not want to lose, President Liebowitz,” (Zach Marlette ’13) to the more introspective: “I am a better citizen of this world because of Tara” (Alison Mehravari ’10).

“We decided that an online venue where people could actually write their comments would be more appropriate than a list of signatures,” Saper said. “I know that many of us have personal stories about the way she has impacted our lives and that certainly would send a very powerful message.”

When Affolter followed the link to her page, she found over 50 glowing responses.

“I was pretty overwhelmed,” she said. “I think that it’s pretty rare in our culture that we allow ourselves to open ourselves to that kind of praise and allow ourselves to give that kind of praise. It’s amazingly humbling.”

When Saper visited Liebowitz during his open office hours to discuss the matter, he found that the president had read the postings and “realized the great consistency among them,” Saper said. Ultimately, the forum has proven to be one of the most powerful tools in advancing the cause, given the high degree of effusively positive reviews.

“The site was huge,” Saper said. “That was extremely powerful, and I think that was the most influential thing because it was the voice of so many students …  [they demonstrated] how important she has been to making them reconsider some different things in life and direct their lives’ focus and really stay as a support for people who are continually faced with difficult situations on this campus.”

Although Affolter had never thought that she would be staying at Middlebury after her stint as a visiting professor, her positive experiences at Middlebury have ensured that, if a new position is created to allow her to join the faculty more permanently, she will be likely to stay.

“I don’t think people realize that visiting people typically are not treated as well as we’re treated here,” Affolter said. “[Middlebury was] really, really supportive, and that says a lot about an institution.”

In addition to being funded to do research and incorporated fully into the department, Affolter had the opportunity to create two new courses: her winter term course on playwright August Wilson this year, and her spring course, Education for Social Justice. And she hopes to do more.

“I feel like there is work to be done to make this institution everything that it could be,” Affolter said. “We need to have some discussions, particularly around issues of race and inclusive education. I think I have something to contribute to that, and that feels good.”

Whatever the outcome, the campaign has so far accomplished one thing beyond a doubt: demonstrating to Affolter the lasting impression she has made on her students.

“The real beauty of whatever happens with it is it is nice to see that I’ve made an impact, and that’s great,” Affolter said. “It’s been a great ride, and it’s still been a good professional experience.”

The bulk of the remaining process now lies in the hands of Collado, Dean of Faculty Jim Ralph, Provost and Executive Vice President Alison Byerly, and Program Chair and Lecturer in Education Studies Gregg Humphrey, who plans to submit a plan to the Dean of Faculty to rehire Affolter this week. However, Saper aims to keep the pressure on with the help of fellow Institutional Diversity Committee members.

“I felt that she has done so much for this campus that it would be a shame to lose her,” Saper said. “So we can’t back up and let it all dissipate into nothing.”