Prominent economist delivers lecture

Cornell University economist Francine D. Blau will deliver the fall 2010 David K. Smith lecture entitled “The Gender Pay Gap: Going, Going, Going … But Not Gone” on Wednesday, Sept. 29th at 4:30 p.m. in the Twilight auditorium.

Blau’s lecture will address a range of issues regarding the earnings gap between male and female workers. Blau will discuss the trends in the gender pay gap in the United States, the role of improvements in women’s qualifications and the fundamental causes of the pay gap, among other topics.

Blau is a Frances Perkins Professor of Industrial and Labor Relations and Labor Economics at Cornell University. She is also a Research Associate of the National Bureau of Economic Research. The College’s own David K. Smith Professor of Applied Economics Professor Phanindra Wunnava has followed Blau’s work since his studies in graduate school.

“She is indeed an authority in the area of gender and racial wage gap literature,” said Wunnava in an email. “I’d say that she is one of the top female (labor) economists in the country.  I’m very happy that she will be delivering our fall David K. Smith lecture.”

Blau’s accomplishments and accolades are numerous, and she has written extensively on gender issues, wage inequality, immigration and internal comparisons of labor market outcomes. Currently, Blau is conducting research on issues such as gender and immigrant assimilation to the U.S. labor market, the impact of immigrant gender roles on their children and trends in gender differences in wages and occupations.

The lecture is organized by Professor Wunnuva, the current holder of the David K. Smith ’42 Chair in Applied Economics of Middlebury College. The talk will be open to the public.