Panthers pounce in OT for first NESCAC win

Sometimes, the game comes down to a matter of inches. In Saturday’s 2-1 overtime victory, the Panthers women’s soccer team proved they had that extra determination to bring home a goal just 1:06 into the first extra period, and earned their first NESCAC win of the season.

The game featured two evenly matched and competitive teams, yet Rowell’s toe-poke golden-goal finish proved to be the difference maker, and the contest concluded in Middlebury’s favor. The goal was initiated by a Katie Ruymann ’11 free kick, which sent the ball into the box only to be dished back out to Caroline Downer ’11. Downer swung in a cross that Annie Rowell ’11 collected amidst a scrambling Bowdoin defense, and Rowell managed to drive the ball into the left corner of the net. Game over, Polar Bears.

women-soccer-Nellie-Pitoniak-color-2-of-71-219x300

The tenacious O.T. goal provides ample evidence of the renewed vigor that the Panthers have demonstrated in the past two games, as the team appears resolute in their commitment to turn their season around after a rocky first few games.

“After a slow start, it was relieving to get our first win in the NESCAC and prove to ourselves that we could win, even in overtime,” said tri-captain Katie Ruymann ’11.

Saturday’s contest was a timely moment for the under-achieving Middlebury team to regain some respect in the NESCAC, as their Maine opponents represented a formidable threat in the division.

“Bowdoin was aggressive –– tenacious through the midfield and fast up top,” said coach Peter Kim. “Their back line was anchored by one of the dominant defenders in the conference, so the team knew it had to win its battles.” Right from the start, the team proved equal to the challenge, shutting down Polar Bear attacks while collecting several goal-scoring opportunities of their own.

Middlebury’s first strike came just 12 minutes in, off of a 20-yard rocket by Nora Tomlinson-Weintraub ’11. The veteran’s goal was “first-class” according to Kim, and marked the first time all season that the team has been able to find the net in the first half. With a little help from the wind at their backs, the Panthers dominated possession during the opening 45 minutes, playing a fast, organized game that left the Polar Bears little chance to catch their breath and mount a serious offensive challenge.

The second half, however, brought the wind and the possession in Bowdoin’s favor, as the Polar Bears turned up the heat and threatened Middlebury’s back line. Tri-captain Lauryn Torch ’11 remained steadfast in goal, however, turning away several Bowdoin attacks to preserve the lead. Torch’s concentration and poise in goal have consistently helped to anchor the new defensive line.

“There were some good times and some bad times,” Torch said in describing how she approaches the game. “I pretty much try to block out whenever we are doing badly.” The keeper’s focus held strong for much of the second half; however, Bowdoin managed to put in the equalizer as the final minutes were winding down.

“We failed to manage the game properly in the second half, allowing an unnecessary counterattack goal late in the match that drew Bowdoin level in a match that we had largely dominated,” said Kim. Nevertheless, the Panthers soon put the game away, and there was much rejoicing on the fondly named “Field of Dragons” that Saturday afternoon.

“Overall, the performance was a good step for the team as it continues to solidify into a group that consistently outworks its opponents,” said Kim. Middlebury has collected a two-game win streak at home, and will look to continue their winning ways in far-off Waterville, Me., where they travel on Saturday to take on the Colby Mules. Their opponents will need more than stubbornness to repel the ferocious Panther attack that the team has been bringing in the past two games.