One in 8700

On Saturday morning, amongst the vegetables and classic Vermont maple syrup of the Middlebury Farmer’s Market, Tom Homann sells his pottery. Drawn to his work by the natural glazes and interesting patterns, customers can buy wares ranging from large decorative plates to mugs for every day use.

Homann began selling his work at the Middlebury Farmer’s Market four years ago after a wood worker who took part in the market called him and convinced him to give it a try. Since then, Homann hasn’t missed a Saturday.

“I like the human contact,” said Homann. “I get to meet people all over the world and it gets me out of isolation.”

Homann has sold his work to people from Naples, Holland, Germany and Japan. Previously, Homann had always sold his stoneware pottery through galleries and rarely got to meet the people who bought from him. One of the benefits of the Middlebury Farmer’s Market is the one-on-one interaction Homann is able to have with his customers.

“You get to see the world go by,” he said.

DSC_5881-300x200

Originally from Illinois, Homann moved to Middlebury 12 years ago after living in San Francisco. He has made pottery since 1974 and started selling his work in 1976 immediately after school. In 1983, Homann made pottery his profession and has been happily making art ever since.

His favorite aspect of the market is the wonderful relationships and connections he has cultivated since he began working there. He has become good friends with repeat customers as well as with the other vendors that sell their produce at the market. In this sense, those who sell at the market benefit just as much as their customers.

“Last week I traded a mug for a wheel of cheese,” said Homann, who takes the opportunity to buy all of his own produce at the market each Saturday. “If you see something you like, why not?” he said.

Although his work can certainly stand alone, Homann also sees the market as an opportunity to advertise the pieces himself. It is important to Homann to be able to explain what type of glaze he used or what inspired him to use a particular color on a piece. He can also recommend to his customers the best method to take care of a well-crafted mug. He believes that connecting with those people who are buying your work is an essential part of any successful profession. Hommand comes back every week to what he refers to as his “part time job” not only because of the successful profit, but also because of the opportunity it gives him to get out and connect with the world that receives his pottery.

If you are ever in need of a mug, a plate or some interesting conversation, Homann is the man to find. He will take time out of his day just to chat or, most importantly, to share his passion with you. Homann plans to continue selling every Saturday.
“Everything is a new experience,” he said.