Men’s soccer adds two more shutout wins to the season tally

The Middlebury men’s soccer team enjoyed another successful weekend as it improved its overall record to 3-0, 2-0 in the NESCAC, by downing Trinity on Saturday and an overmatched Southern Vermont team on Sunday.

Saturday’s game, played in picture-perfect conditions in front of a lively home crowd, saw the Panthers hold on for a 1-0 victory against perennial NESCAC foe Trinity thanks to a goal six minutes into the second half scored by tri-captain Jake Edwards ’11. Edwards’ shot, off a feed from Carson Cornbrooks ’11, deflected off Trinity goalkeeper Grant Schonberg before bouncing into the back of the net. The Panthers maintained their lead through solid defensive play led once again in net by Tim Cahill ’11, who recorded his second consecutive shutout. The performance left Middlebury head coach Dave Saward with little to complain about.

“A truly beautiful Vermont day and a terrific crowd was all made even more pleasant by our overall performance on Saturday,” said Saward. “Even the presence of a vuvzuela did not prove too offensive!”

The result could have proven to be more lopsided as the team missed out on some golden opportunities in the first half to jump out to an early lead.

“Goals are hard to come by and when you see a couple of golden chances go missing, you wonder if such opportunities will come your way again,” commented Saward. “In the first half, Tyler Macnee’s ’12 chance along with Taylor Wilkins’ ‘12, were great opportunities, but the final touch eluded them both.” However, getting shots on target proved to be an easy task for the team this weekend, as it outshot Trinity 11-5 on Saturday and then shelled Southern Vermont with 26 more shots on Sunday.

Sunday’s game turned out to be a dominant performance for the team, as it rolled to a 6-0 win against its opponent from Bennington. Cahill made only one save in the first half before being lifted in order for Zack Abdu-Glass ’13 and Eric Wilson ’13 to see some action between the pipes.

Alex Colucci ’12 started the scoring early for the Panthers, netting his goal a mere 2:46 into the match. Wilkins scored six minutes later, Harrison Watkins ’11 added two more and then Ethan Galiette ’13 also scored to push the lead to 5-0 at the half. Brett Brazier ’13 also tallied one more late in the second half to end the game 6-0. Coach Saward saw the second half as a great chance to work in some players not in the starting rotation. Besides the aforementioned Wilson and Abdu-Glass in goal, several other players made their season debuts for the team.

“Special mention should go to Andrew Strumolo ’11 who has been heart and soul of this team for three years,” said Saward. “It was also good to see Jon Portman ’13, coming back after a serious operation, perform admirably.” The offensive production also gave Saward a lot to be happy about.

“It’s terrific to create opportunities,” said Saward. “Putting a few goals into the back of the net builds belief and confidence in what the team spends a great deal of time doing in practices. I think we are finding a rhythm going forward, but all successful teams have a stable defense and Watkins, Martin, Collucci, Cole and Cahill were magnificent.”

Sam Peisch ’13.5 echoed Saward’s positive outlook, adding, “We were able to get forward quickly and retain a solid amount of positive possession, which was good to see.”

The team hopes to maintain its offensive production on Wednesday at home, as they face a Norwich team coached by all-time leading scorer here at Middlebury, Kyle Dezotell.

On Thursday the team will shift its focus to Saturday’s match at home against NESCAC foe Bowdoin. This provides the team with a chance to run its record to 3-0 in the conference, as early in the season they remain the only team without a loss or tie in conference and overall play.

“I felt that our team was satisfied with their overall performance this weekend,” said Saward, “but it was just another step along the path, certainly not the finished article.”